Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two 112's or one 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sunnpeg, Jun 2, 2002.

1. With all this talk going on about 12" speakers I am now seriously considering buying into the new technology. I've noticed that many of our brethren have two 112 cabinets. Is there a difference in tone quality compared to a 212 cabinet, or is it just the flexibility of having a 112 when needed.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    a pair of 1x12's will have the versatility and portability. a 2x12's gonna have slightly tighter low end focus, considering the sound is coming from one cab with one tweeter, rather than 2 cabs with 2 tweeters. also, the sound in a single 2x12 wont be as diffuse. perhaps punchier, but that's a little moot. as is this post. hehe... ;)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aside from portability and whatever other advantages the "more cabinets" approach may offer, the bottomline to me is that if one of the speakers develops a problem, - you're still in business!

Unless you can go through the PA, having to ditch your only cab at a gig is one of bassdom's darkest nightmares.

4. Just noticed a heads-up from Brainrost re: the new Bergantino 112 without a tweeter. If I were to purchase two 112's, I would like one of them without a tweeter because I don't use tweeters much. This combination looks good.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've had to do it exactly once in over 30 years of gigging. Not exactly my worst fear in light of that stat. I use JBL mains in my PA with a 15 in each and a 1200 watt powered mixer. I don't worry much about loss of a bass rig on the job, as a result.

IMO, a 212 will give you significantly more volume and punch than a 112. And in the case of the Epifani T212, for instance, an extraordinarily balanced tone. I love the Bergantino single 12's but they just don't have enough heft for medium-sized gigs.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My alternative rig was with 2 112's. Run them parallel on one side of my amp with a 115 and a 115coax through the other.
    At home, I'd have 112 for my practice room though the back-up head, while the rest of the rig stays in the basement for rehearsals.
    Big shows, take the whole thing and parre down for smaller rooms.

Too expensive though.

I went with a 210/115 set up and eventually may add a 115 coax cube. If I get famous, I'll just add duplicates of what I have but with horns in each.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The 2/12 cabs also have better specs!

8. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA

Except for one cab weight . . .

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Compared to 2-112"s, Im sure even the weight is better.

After all you do lose 2 sheets of plywood.

Peace
    Nick

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    And, my friend Dave has an Aggie 2x12. We've done a side by side comparison in his practice space, and there really isn't much difference between the sound of two 1x12s vs 1 2x12 once you adjust for impedence. Any tiny difference you notice would be immediately lost the second a band is introduced to the mix.

I love having two 1x12s. On Sunday, I practiced with a new jump blues project I'm in, and I only took 1x12 cab with me. Using my Curbow fretless with flats, and my Dearmond Ashbory, the 1x12 was more than enough to fill the room. And, it'll more than cover the gigs we have lined up, too.

But, I'm also playing with a harder band where I'll be using my 5 string against distorto guitars ,and I'll definitely use my 2nd 1x12 for that.

Most 1x12 cabs are fairly light (mine are 42 lbs each), and I carry one in each hand with little difficulty. My head feels heavier than both cabs. A 2x12 would have casters.

If you need versatility, go with 2 1x12s. If not, get whichever works better with your setup.

11. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    "My head feels heavier than both cabs. A 2x12 would have casters."

I'm not going to say a word... I'm not going to say a word.... :D

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya'll talking about 1x12 or a single 2x12...quit footing around and get a pair of 2x12s! You can always turn the volume down, but you can't always turn it UP...rather overkill than underprepared! ;)

Actually, a 2x12'd sit nice in my room and for practice...

13. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Guess I've finally made a smart move. 6 months ago, I bought 2 Epi 112's and 1 Epi 212.

Each of the 112's is 8 ohms, so for portability, I'll carry them both and run one on each channel or run the amp in bridge for only slightly more power to each cab and presenting the amp with a 4 ohm load. Great portability with just one and my 4 or 6 space rack. It fits in the passenger side of my Miata!!!

Or, the Epi 212 is a 4 ohm cab and if I get to drive the Trooper SUV , I'll take it instead. Same power demand with one 4 ohm cab on one channel.

For the rare BIG GIG, I'll run the 2-112's in parallel on one channel and stack them both on top of the 212. That's 900W to each "set" and it'll make your liver quiver!!! Qhite an imposing and impressive verticle 412 stack!! But most times, it's just one or two of the 112's.

There is no sound diference except, like it was mentioned earlier, the 212 sounds a bit more focused. Volume wise, those two little 112's can hold their own against the 212.

Disclaimer: I LOVE EPIFANI!! And I am partial to mine. I also prefer the Epi's to the Aggies. So my opinions are biassed. IMO the Aggie didn't sound as hi fi or as good; and this was in an A/B test with several basses, a solid state, a tube and switching class power amps and both tube and solid state pre amps. But those are my ears, YMMV.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Epi's rock socks. :) i'm in absolute love with nick's 2x12. especially his side by side model.

if you want a lightweight 2x12, Aguilar's GS212 is about 70 lbs. not much heavier than most 2x10's. if i had gigs large enough, a pair would rock my socks. :D they'd look killer as a backline.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I remeber that time (a month or two back) when Epi meant Epiphone to me.

::sigh::

The good ol' times....

Peace
    Nick