Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 115 Cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aabassist, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Is it a good idea or not to use two 115 cabs together?

Or will it be a lot better to use say a 210 + 215?

Two 115's are more in my price range but i don't want to buy them if they are going to sound worse/only as good as just one 115.

Any advice?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It really depends on what YOU like better.
    The majority will prefer either the combination of the fat low end of a 115 with the 'tighter' sound of 10's or even 10's only. But there are quite a few players who prefer 15's. (e.g. I remember one TB member having 2 home-made 115's)

From the 2 otpions, I would personally prefer 115+210.
    (What I actually did was trading in my 215 for a 212, but that's not very popular as well, although more and more players switch to 112+112...)

Matthias

3. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Not sure about multiple 15s but my cab is a 15 + 10. Occasionally I experiment and turn the 10 off and put the full frequency range through the 15 only. The 15 on its own sounds deep and dark but not very lively. This may be due to the 15 I'm using : Eminence Kappa 15LF. Perhaps another 15 would handle the mids/highs much better.

If your 15 is similar in spec to mine, I would suggest some kind of mid-range/tweeter to give the sound some brightness when you need it.

My two penny worth.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like lots of low end thump and warmth, so I run a pair of 15s.

5. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    I usually gig with a pair of Bag End S-15D's, and love them. They have more high end than you would think, and they're very easy to lug around.

6. I've used a pair of 1x15's for years. (vintage E-V SROs in custom tuned cabs) Love the low-end rumble without having to be LOUD. Of course, you can crank it up just to put the guitar players back in place. The key is proper EQ otherwise you have excessive boom and muddy tone.
    You can buy cabs with high frequency drivers in them, or you can add a HF element and crossover to an existing cabinet without adversely effecting the internal volume of the cabinet.

7. I say go for it. I use a 2x15 box and a 2x10 bi-amped and I wouldn't have it any other way. I use a triple band compressor so I can compress the deep end hard and not lose the mids and highs. The lows are massive and the mids are tight. It sounds pretty awsome if I do say so myself.

8. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    With Mudbass (but only 50% of the way!) . I use the single 10 and single 15 bi-amped : the Xover in the amp puts < 150 Hz into channel 1 (15) and above into channel 2 (10). The volume level of the 10 is adjustable.

I don't use a compressor. I have one in the amp but it's a) noisey and b) shuts out the high and low transients which I love. Probably a crap compressor.

I think the key to EQ is a cabinet that runs a reasonably flat frequency response from 40Hz - 5KHz (I'm a 4 stringer). Then EQ in and out what you want to hear, maybe with the amp but even better drive a flat full range amp and cabinet with the volume / tone controls on the instrument.

My two penny worth.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bad idea. Fifteens are tone-sucking muff monsters. I don't care if you've got one, two or thirty of 'em.
    ... MUFF MUFF MUFF MUFF MUFF ...

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I think some dude that used to play pretty good on a fretless Jazz Bass used 2 1x15's.... but i think his tone sucked anyway. muf is right.... and i'm talking about jaco.

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That'd be me... I got a bit tired of 10's after trying to get 'my' sound out of 'em for some time, (though I gotta admit, those Eden cabs almost sold me...), and went back to 15's. It was like coming home... I'm using the same drivers as flacko, Eminence Kappa LF's... For me, they're plenty lively, but maybe that's in the box design... plugged the parameters and ports into WinISD and took the default design and haven't looked back. I goose the mids a bit at 800Hz and have no problems with muddy sound... If I ride the treble much past 2 O'clock it gets a bit too bright for my taste, but hey, that's just me. I'm getting deep, punchy, well defined bass all night long through some pretty small cabinets, so I'm happy...

-robert
    [​IMG]

12. I like the wood case for your R600 (or 1000 if thats what it is...can't tell)...very very nice. Do you have any HQ recording from those cabs?...I'd like to get an idea of how they sound.

Peace
    Graham

13. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    rllefebv - they are gorgeous cabs. I agree with you that the 15LFs give great definition but the thing that surprises me is the tight punch down on the low notes.

Tell me - is that acoustic stuffing I can see through the ports of the bottom cab? Did you go with fully stuffing the cab to try and get a larger apparent volume or is it just on the back wall.

I seriously considered leaving a wood finish on mine but decided to cover the cab in black vinyl. Looking at your cabs I wish I'd gone for the wood finish.

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That bloke who played the fretless jazz bass back in the 70s used two 1x18" rear-facing folded horns! Seriously loud! I too am very curious as to how he got any top end out of them...

Alex

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    flacko... Thanks for the comments. When I was just starting out, (so long ago... :) ), I saw another bass player who had taken the shell of an old '50's 'Hi-Fi' unit and converted it to a bass cab... Solid maple and beautiful. Then there were the early Bag-End cabinets that were oiled wood... Since then I have like the look of wood... These are 3/4" birch ply... super easy to keep clean so they don't soak up the 'beer and smoke' ambience of the clubs too much! Very light also...

The fiber filling is Acousta-Stuf from PartsExpress. 2 lbs. in each cab. I used 3M spray adhesvie to attach it to all four sides and the back. It looks like it is right up against the ports, but that's just due to the angle of the shot... Definitely lives up to the hype about tightening up the bass response. Prior to these cabs, I had it in my RC210 cab and it helped significantly... When I built these, I A/B'd with and without, (nice to have 2 identical cabs!), and the difference was enormous.

The Kappa LF's are very punchy in the right cab. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an acoustic engineer/cab guru... I just took the default volume size from WinISD, dimensioned and ported a box to acheive that volume, and ran with it. Just prior to building these, when I was in the materials acquisition stage, I placed one of the Kappa's in my previous 1X15 for a coupla gigs, (an emergency, as the existing speaker had fried and I had no backup). It sounded bad, and I was very disappointed with the speaker, almost sending the pair of them back... That cab had a volume of almost 5.7 cu. ft. and was just wrong for the speaker. I'm glad I went through with building the smaller cabs.

-robert

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It really depends on what is pleasing to your ear and what fits with your style. That said, I've been auditioning cabs like crazy for the last 18 months and have finally settled on a rig that I think will be suitable. I've played Heavy Duty's 2 Bag End 15s and was really impressed at how tight, loud, and full-range they were. However, I personally like 10s better. Personally, when I've played a 15 with a 2X10 or other cab loaded with 10s, I feel that the punch and tightness of the 10s get lost. I tend to hear the 15 and have a really hard time trying to determine if the cab w/ 10s is even on. I had the same experience recently playing through a 3X10 and a 2X12. I could hear the 2X12, but couldn't tell if the 3X10 was on or getting enough power.

The 2X15 thing is great for a vintage sound and can be outstanding in conjunction with a mondern 5-string (virtually all of the Bass NW guys use BE 15s). Personally, if I went the 15 route, I'd get 2 Bag Ends. Otherwise, I'd stick with 10s or 12s and just get more of them to move more air. That said, there are a TON of people here who love and swear by their 2X10 & 1X15 rigs. Just try it out and see what sounds more natural.

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

HOLY CRAP! Thats right! Well, now those 15's don't sound QUITE as bad do they?:p

18. What do most people prefer:

210 and 215
    or
    210 and 410
    or
    115 and 410

19. Back in the old days when everybody used a Fender with flat wound strings, 12" and 15" speakers were the standard. And to be honest I think flat wounds sound best through 15" speakers. But, now days people use round wound strings with that treblely twang and punch the 15"s fall kind of short in the twang/punch department. So multiple 10" speakers became more popular. Precisely 2x10" speakers will move about the same amount of air as 1x15. Hence the popularity of the 4x10 cab. ( moves the same air as 2x15 ) Some people think a combination of 15"s and 10"s work best. Right now I'm using a cab that has a 15" a 10" and a horn. I really like it because it has a really clean sound. ( I'm into clean right now ) But next month I may pull out the 4x10 cab and think it sounds the best, who knows about me? Whatever you buy, you are the one who has to play through it and live with it.

20. Don't do it. A pair of 15's sounds like ass in my opinion. I imagine they might be ok if you play dub or prefer some other muddy sound but otherwise, uckk. I've had a 2x15 and getting rid of it was the single best thing I ever did for my sound. Get some 10s!