Two 12's or 2x10 + 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 18, 2004.

1. 2x10 and 1x15

25 vote(s)
  2. a pair of 12s

22 vote(s)
  1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Only vote/post if you have tried both. Thanks!
  2. Anyone who's tried a pair of Aguilar 112's will probably vote the same way I did!

They sound deeper and warmer, project just as much (IMO), and are a lot easier to carry than the SWR 2X10 and 1X15 I had before. Best of all, they cost less too!!

3. I've heard this before. I'm curious though, how can this be? The 2x10 and 1x15 have more surface area together than the 2 1x12s together. I'm not doubting the capabilities of the Aguilar GS112s, but I'm just curious about why this is (if they are as good as everyone says)
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    definitely a 2x10 and a 1x15. i think that is a lot better combination because the 1x15 gives you a ****load of lows, and the 2x10 will give you some nice lows, mids, and highs.
    you could even get the SWR big ben, which is 18'' :p.
  5. MacheteJames,

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary, but I find that the difference in projection with the 112's vs. the 210 and 115s is minimal. As always, this is my opinion, and there might be others that will disagree, although I know there are also lots of people who would probably vouch for this. Those little cabinets just "throw" a very full sound. Lots of lows in those little cabinets. In theory (surface area, et al), I would absolutely agree with you, but in terms of the minimal if even discernible difference in projection vs. cost, weight these things are a winner.

Then again, all this would also depend on your amp, how loud you have to play with your band, etc, etc, so my experience may end up being totally difference than yours. I'd say check them out at a local store if you can.
  6. Are they able to handle a low B okay? The specs sure are impressive on them, that's for sure. I've been looking at picking up an Acme B4, but I have yet to hear a single bad thing about the GS112s, unlike the Acmes.
  7. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have tried both, but I own a 210 and a 212. That's the ticket. (for me :) )
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used my first 2x12 just last weekend. A custom cab with Selenium drivers. Sounded good but I had to cut the lows and boost the mids to be heard. With everything set flat, it's a big fat sound with lots of bottom end.

But, I can get that sound with my smaller, lighter 15. With a 2x10 on top, it's loud & punchy yet warm and fat at the same time.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh...don't be too sure.

I tried out Aguilar 12's and expected to be blown away, but wasn't. It was missing something, and I couldn't figure out what...

Then I played the same bass through the same head with an Aguilar 2x10 on top of an Aguilar 1x15 and found what I was missing: that growl and grunt that defines my tone.

I really thought I'd like the 12s but just couldn't. They don't do it for me.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I voted for the 2*10, but IMHO, I'd rather have a 2*12 on bottom... but you didn't allow for that in the vote.
  11. I have the Berg HT/EX112 sittin' on an Auralex Gramma Pad about 99% of my gigs. I always have PA support so that is a factor to consider. I used to have a Mesa 400+ Mesa Diesels with EV's 210 and 1x15 set up. Actually I still have one of the EV115 cabs, I had two. It was great sounding of course. All that gear as powerful and heavy as it was does not measure up to my two little 112 cabs with either my WWU or Demeter/QSC rigs for power. The only thing I slightly miss is that rich 400+ tubey tubey tone, but I get close with my current stuff. I get more raves from the audience/other musicians now than ever before on the sound and feel. I did not care for the Aggie GS112 cabs, but that is taste.
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I couldn't decide so I acquired a set of each :D

The 2x10 + 1x15 gives great low, lows upper mids and highs. The 2x12s add lows as well and have nice full low mids. All three cabinets together (per channel) gives the best of both worlds :hyper:
  13. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Holy smoke, nice rig!

Are those Avatar 12s under your rack?
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000

Nope, a pair of 1x10s (PAS 10 and Foster horn in a box half the size of a Goliath II Jr.) built by me.
  15. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    IMO it depends on what you're using it for. I favor the Bergantino 210 + 115 to his two 112s, but the latter are FAR more portable and have an excellent sound-to-size ratio. I play a lot of R&B and Funk so I like 10's and 15's for the deep punch, but rock only players (or other styles) might prefer 12's. Again, YMMV.
  16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm thinking that Billy gets the 'threatening looking rig of the week award' for that one ...
  17. I play a lot of R&B and funk too, but I prefer two 12s myself, because I feel the give a nice warm, yet punchy sound. A 210 and a 115 together sound a little too scooped for my tastes. I also don't slap, which may be part of it too.
  18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I think 2 12's are much eaiser to carry than the alternative. Some companies are coming up with creative ways to make their 12's sound so full and huge (EA's transmission lines, all of the super high handling cabinets, et cetera), and I think that makes up for most of the loss you get from surface area.