1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two 1x12's versus a 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by savinggrace, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I have a 2x12 cab. Does anyone find (2) 1x12's together have a more pronounced sound or are they any more definied in the low end than a 2x12?

I like the open-ness of 12" speakers versus 10" speakers but would like the most defined bottom end of a 12" speaker that I can find. I am currently using a Epifani T-2x12.

Aggresive low mids that cut are desired.

So I THINK there are two seperate questions in there somewhere... but I havent slept in a while ;)

2. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Two 12's with a tweeter/horn combination seems to be the max limit for me, whereas a pair of 1x12's with a tweeter/horn in each leans towards a lot of tweaking possibilities that may or may not enable tone nirvana.

A tweeter/horn enabled 1x12 paired with a solo 1x12 extension cab (no tweeter/horn) makes more sense to me, YMMV.

I have not played a 4x12, tweeter/horn, enabled cab to date although even that makes more sense than adding tweeters & horns with each additional 1x12 cab, again your tonal goal make make the YMMV disclaimer mute.

As far as 1x12 "open-ness" goes, I too love that tone, and Bag End singles, from one to four cabs, have always made me happy, and not miss the tweet/horn combination/alternatives.

That said I am presently a very happy Bass camper with my Mesa M6 Carbine combo and the stock 2x12 + horn compliment, less gear to haul/set up/tear down.

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As light weight as most 212's are, I don't see a reason for 2 single 12's. It would be different though, if I didn't already have a 212, and if a single 12 would be of any use to me.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I went with two single Aguilar 1x12s because that's all I could fit in my tiny car. I would rather have a 2x12 but just can't really get a 2x12 in there due to the fact my hatch is filled with junk like amps, subs, cd-changers, and strut-bar.

5. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Single 12's are very useable, which is why I have a stash of Bag End S12-B's, on many occasion's.

IE: Low Power Coffee House/Acoustic Guitar + Vocals gigs, usually with little or No percussion accompaniment.

YMMV

Cheers,

Mr. BEAR

6. Ok, well how the smaller box of a 1x12" having more definition on the low end? Anyone experience this?

7. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    interesting comments all...
    The main thing I have to say first is, it depends on the brand. Eden 112's are in your face mid-heavy, and a pair will be a loud set but lack some bottom where the 212 XLT is all the butter and maple syrup you can stand. Two completely different animals!!

Genz Benz, on the other hand, 2 of the 112 Neox cabs are in fact what I play. They are as one player described, the best 115 on the market. Nice rich low-end, very portable and coupled as a pair are much fuller that the 212 Neox (IMHO) and that's why I have them and sold the 212 cab. (Now if they would only make an Uber 212...)

So you have to try them out in different configuration and base a decision made on what the sound is that you are looking for.

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hate reading that and I've read it before. I hate it because the two 1x12's are $200 more expensive than the 2x12 and the 2x12 has a form factor I really like (narrower than a 4x10), as well as wheels.

Pity. I'm currently saving for one solution or the other. I'd really love the 2x12 to work for me, but it keeps sounding like two of the 1x12's would be a safer choice, even if they're $200 more up front.

KO

9. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    212 cabs usually sound bigger to me.
    They are cheaper than two singles.
    I agree most nowadays are very manageable.
    Most have casters which makes 'all around' portability very easy in most cases. IMO

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The problem with most 2x12's is that the manufacturers use pretty much the same cab as they use for a 4x10. It makes sense for them: Change the port a bit, change the baffle and you're only making one cab for two purposes. Also it makes having a 2x12 and a 4x10 easily stackable.

But it doesn't work for me - I greatly prefer a cab to be rack width because they're easier to get through doorways and are just tall enough that with a pair of kick back wheels, you can drag it instead of carrying it. Since the Shuttle fits in my gig bag, I could drag the whole rig for a couple of blocks if need be without resorting to a dolly.

That's what I like about the form factor of the Genz NeoX 212T. Unfortunately I keep hearing how much better a pair of NeoX112T's sound.

<sigh>

KO

11. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Dr. Bass 2460 standard would meet this critira very well, plus it's a 3way cab with 212, 6" mid and tweet. I've got one.

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That looks about perfect. Kickback wheels and a luggage handle are an option.

Thanks!

KO

13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Provided internal volume is the same, a single 212 will perform "identically" to two 112 cabinet.

The reason for the practical differences in performance is usually because tow of the 112 cabinets have more internal volume than a single 212.

My (personal) preference is a pair of 112's because of the scalable nature of multiple smaller cabinets. Small gigs bring one, larger gigs bring two and for even larger gigs bring three or four. The tradeoff is, of course cost and a little (total) weight penalty.

14. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I don't get it, did you mean to say (2) 112 cabs??

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I quite often only need a 1x12, so having two 1x12s gives me more flexibility. It is also easier to pack and carry 1x12s.

16. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

i'm in this boat as well--i like the flexibility of 2 singles

17. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    hello, this is the answer that I got from aguilar:

"...Two GS 112 cabinets will sound different from a single, GS 212. The cabinets are different acoustically and they will sound similar but not the same. You will also get more volume capacity with a 4 ohm 212. But the GS 112's are very portable..."

Im thinking buy two aguilar GS112. the aguilar has more natural sound with deep low end, but dont have that "agressive mid-hi fi sound" that you can find in cabs like eden 1x12...

I find more versatile two 1x12 because one big single cab is more hard to transport...

good luck...

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yep, a typo!

19. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i own both rigs your talking about..

brickhouse (2) 1x12", and a brickhouse 2x12". overall there is a bit more of a pronounced low end out of the 2 1x12" cabs stacked. also allows for more options - for example, in a small coffee shop type gig, one 12" cab on the floor, and one up on an amp stand angled at ear level - absolute bass heaven, if you ask me.

20. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I like two singles also, but even a 212 cab, is not that heavy to carry. You almost need to buy both, and one of everthing else. Soon, my wife will make me live in the garage. I want a coffin shaped like a Berg cab. I want all the cabs. It's very hard not to want one of every type, isn't it. Soon , I will have a garage, that looks like Bowlus's basement!