Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 1x15" or one 2x15"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marcinkus, Aug 19, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just a personal preference for two cabs --- If you have two cabs and one develops a problem at a gig, you're still in business, albeit not as fine as when you had two 15's. One cab blows a speaker, and your sound is awful.

But with the extra cab, you're still able to perform.

2. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Go for the 2 separate cabs. Having a modular system is always better. For smaller shows, you can just take one. Or if one breaks, you still have the other. If the band breaks up, or you need money, you can sell one, If you have two houses, you can keep one at each house, and move the head. If....................ok.

LATER

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    just my $ 0.02 on this...

i read many people saying 2 small cabs are better than 1 big

it's true it is more secure and more versatile, and also each small cab is lighter than any big one

all this is completely true, but...

maybe i did not experience the right cabs, but through the many years i played and many amps i owned, i never saw any 1x15 or 2x10 beat any 2x15 or 4x10 in the headroom dept. this probably depends on the conception of the cabs : a small box will (should ?) push less power than a big one

maybe i'm wrong, but that's what i experienced, with cabs such as ampeg 810, sunn 215, peavey 215... and on the other side : ashdown 2x10 & 1x15, and of course many combos

i never saw a combo, or any small cab combination, beat the headroom of a sunn 215b or ampeg svt810

that was just my very personal opinion, of course

all the best
    jl

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My 215 is heavy, and does not allow for all the nifty portability features mentioned by the others, I agree.

But the sound out of my 215 is better than any other two 115's I have played on.

-Mike

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    just a little note as per JL's post, maybe two seperate cabs wont beat in the headroom dept., but they should be equivelent, given that the cab(s) consists of the same speakers and same cubic ft...

ie: you have a 2x15 cab... the 2x15 cab is actually partitioned into two spaces (there is a board seperating each speaker from one-another).. NOW, you have 2 seperate 1x15 cabs, each one has the same 15" speaker as the 2x15 and each one is in the same size enclosure as each speaker is in the 2x15... this should make both 15" cabs together sound just the same as the 2x15.. maybe a bit better given the extra material used ;)

now, if there is no partition between the two 15" speakers in the 2x15 cab, you get a coupling effect affecting the sound, maybe better, maybe worse, possibly louder, possibly more muddy..

or, take an ampeg 8x10.. each speaker is in it's own space (or are they seperated into 4 spaces, 2 speakers per space? - either way, you get the point) apart from all the other speakers, so there is no coupling effect... four 2x10 cabs, each with the same space allocated for each speaker, and each with the same 10" speakers as is found in the 8x10, should all together sound the same.

then again, this is all theoretically speaking.

the pcs of plywood seperating all the speakers in the 8x10 cab, may allow a bit of sound to escape each partition, into the other spaces, and provide a bit of "coupling" and therefore may sound louder.

take an ampeg 4x10, and take out the partitions and compare it to an ampeg 4x10 with partitons. i bet the 4x10 without partitons (all speakers in the same space) will sound louder and deeper than the 4x10 with partitons which will sound punchier, but maybe a bit quieter... both together might sound very nice... or an 8x10 with the bottom 4 speakers all in one space, the top 2 each in its own space, and the 2 below the top 2 in its own space, probably sound creamy.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    a few months ago i had an ashdown rig, made of abm500 head + 210 + 115 abm cabs

it was rated at 575 w @ 4 ohms, but my old ampeg svt (a vintage model from the 70's) had much more headroom, though rated at only 300 w

that's just an example, i could tell others about my sunn concert bass + 215b cab, or my peavey mk3 head w/215 matching cab

but i must admit that i prefer 215's or 810's over any other type of cabs...

all the best,
    jl

7. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Yo man, I totally agree... larger cabs with more speakers always seem to sound better..

I was just pointing out that the same speaker, in the same cubic ft area, should sound the same, regardless as to how many are actually in the same overall enclosure.. but they dont!

I have always liked 2x15 cabs, never had the priv of getting to play thru a 8x10 :(

right now i'm playing thru a 1x15 + 2x10 and it sounds good, but i'm contemplating taking the EVM-15B out of this 1x15 and taking my other EVM-15B which isnt being used and throwing them in my friends old traynor 2x15 to see how it sounds (I use to use it exclusively, but with crap speakers)... i bet it will sound creamy!

bebop

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A couple of things.

Firstly all this talk about "headroom" for speakers is out of context. You'll get headroom from your amplifier, but not your speakers. Speakers are rated to handle a certain amount of power and mathematically an 800w 2x15 has the exact same power capability as two 400w 15's. In fact that's what is inside the 2x15.

Secondly, if take a 2x15, saw it in half and make it 2 seperate 15's, the laws of physics suggest that it should sound exactly the same provided you match the exact speaker cab volume, porting, and nominal impedance.

My advice, save your back, get the 2 seperate cabs.