two 210 VS. 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Oct 31, 2002.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm gonna buy a Crown XLS 402 power amp and use it with my SansAmp BDDI. I love the sound of 10"s, but i wanna get two lighter cabs instead of having to carry one big and heavey cab (also, so I can run the two cabs stereo).

I wanna know how do 2 210 cabs compare to a 410 cab. I'm looking at Avatar speakers and I love 410's but I want to get two cabs. Do 2 210's work fairly as well as a 410??? Is it better to get the 210 + 115 ?????

I play 5-string and currently own a Peavey TVX which handles my low-B without breaking a sweat. So please give me your advice and opinions about this issue.

Any help is welcome...
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I don't know nuttin bout that, but one thing that Alex Aguilar told me:

"Our 1x12s, being tuned to sound good & thick on their own, when paired up sound a lot bigger than one 2x12 cabinet"

or something like that...
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if you want really deep low end i'd go for the 2x10 and the 1x15. if you just want punchier go for the 2 2x10's.... do you play a b string?
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I play a fiver and have been using a pair of 2x10's precisely because of portability. If they're stacked nicely, they'll couple and sound no worse than a single 4x10.

Oh... that's *my* opinion of portability. Some people prefer to push one larger wheeled cabinet rather than carry two smaller cabs.

Then again, there's the modularity factor: for small jam sessions, I use only one 2x10.
  5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I assume he told you that before their 2x12 came out?
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Actually it was a couple weeks after it came out. It had to do with the tuning Gary Willis did on the 2x12 cabinet. To give it more clarity, they tuned the cabinet a little higher. The 112 is a little deeper... so he said...
  7. ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    don't know if this helps, but I replaced a 2*10" Goliath Junior 3 and a 15" Son of Bertha with an EBS 410 and I wouldn't take the SWRs back in a fit! Plenty of punchy bottom end with the 410, the SWR 2*10 even doubled could never match this killer tone ... get a trolley and a 4*10" I say, it will be cheaper and it will roll!
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I replaced an Eden 410 XLT with two EA VL210's, and I'm really glad I did.
  9. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I think the Avatar 2x10 is a little weak on the low end but otherwise a great cabinet. With a 5, I'd get the 2x10 and 1x15 if I was getting Avatar speakers. If I was buying Eden, I'd get 2 2x10's instead of an Eden 1x15 with a 2x10. I haven't tried the new 12's, but perhaps they're the better choice for you.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When I used Acme B2's, the pair would better than twice as good as a single 2/ sounded good but two sounded great!
  11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've got two Bag End D10X-D's. I don't really know if they are better, deeper sounding or anything better than the 4-10 version. And they sound way different than my GS410 Aguilar cab. They do sound great together. But the last several gigs I had to schlep them up and down 3 flights of stairs. And at about 60 pounds a piece it just about killed me. Too many trips (pun intended). I picked up the Bag End D12 and have been very happy since.

The plus if the two 2x10 cabs is that you can use just one for small gigs...which if you get the right cabinet should be most everything. And you have the extra cab for anything else.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try and see if there is someone that would like to trade an Epifani 2x10 for one of my Bag End D10's. If I run something other than my D12 it will be the D10X-D with the Bag End S15X-D. Now that is an awesome comination.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's one thing that evangelist Robert Tilton said that I'll never forget:

"KOOOLaba SEEEbaba SOYA!"

Don't you forget it, either.
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
  14. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    He's right....... Bob did say that and it certainly applies here.
  15. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I run two Eden 2-10XLTs. My back wouldn't be able to handle the weight of a 4-10 cab. My stack gives you plenty of bottom and punch (you will not be lacking for bottom).

I pondered the same question prior to buying my second 2-10 cab, and I was actually considering the 1-15XLT. Some of the things that I considered were the power ratings and frequency responses of the respective cabs. I also had experience with running 15s before (two separate 1-15 cabs biamped with a JBL PA cab w/ 1-12 and a radial horn). After considering all aspects and my personal tastes, I went with two 2-10s and been very happy. but that's just my opinion.

The flipside of this issue is that a 2-10 and 1-15 combination give you some options on the smaller gigs. Depending on the type of music, room acoustics, and other variables, you could opt to bring the 15 for the full round sound, or bring the 2-10 for the quicker punchy sound depending on personal preference.
  16. NedtheRed

Jun 20, 2002
    I would assume its more of an ohmage issue. If your amp can handle a 2ohm load, you could get more power by running two 4ohm 2x10 cabs, rahter than run a 4ohm 4x10, which may be more economical, but not quite as loud.