two 210s vs 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjimm, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jjimm

Mar 22, 2005
    I really like the way the Eden 410XLT sounds, but want more portability, so I am looking at getting 2 210XLT cabs instead. I'm not real knowledgeable about these cabs, so I could use some advice.

Is there going to be a difference in the sound? There are two physical differences. Two 210 cabs each have a horn , and the cab sizes will be different.

IOW, at times, will the 210's sound sort of like 20 inch speakers and have more punch than the 410s? Will the 410s sound like a 40 inch speaker and get lower freqs-maybe noticable on a 5 string low B string?

Wish I could A/B these, but can't find the two side-by-side.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Um, I think the 4x10 will have more lows, but more due to the cabinet size than the speaker size. 4x10's sound nothing like a 1x18 much less a 20 or 40 inch speaker, which I've never even seen.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    210 is more portable, you can set one up on each side of the stage for more equal volume (or one on top of the other), but it costs a bit more. The Eden 210 is a great cab, very loud and gets some awesome lows as well. (I've been looking into a 210 for a small gig rig) Either the dual 210s or a 410 would be awesome, and either would work great. The only real advantage of the 410 I can see is if you want to eventually stack it the impedance may be right.
  4. 2- 2 x 10's will work just fine and like you said, be portable.
    Go for it!
  5. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    The horns have attenuators you can turn down, or you can even disable one by disengaging the fuse (iirc). Plus you can stack the two 210's on edge for a mini line array, which you can't do with a 410.
  6. That is a good point that is all too often overlooked.

The only issue with on-edge stacking might be stability. The advantages are controlled dispersion, especially in the vertical plane where it otherwise is wasted. Two 2x10 edge stacked will most likely outperform a regular 4x10.

More subtle is, the 2x10 probably has more internal cabinet volume per speaker than the 4x10. The XLT is known for stuffing acoustically large drivers into a too-small cabinet, which cuts off the bass response. I have only tested a 4x10, so I can only speculate, but suspect the pair of 2x10 will have a somewhat bigger bottom than the 4x10.

A pair is always easier to haul, but does cost more. The edge stack array is a big plus. That would be my choice of the two.
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Having owned both cabs, I would actually recommend the 410. Yes the 210 is smaller, but not by much. It is still a big cab and awkward to move around. If you are looking at the eden 210xlt, It is a great single cab and could probably get you through a gig alone.

The 210 seems to be a little more refined than the 410, and is really a good sounding cab. There are more portable and easier to handle 210s such as the SWR and Bergantino, but they do not have the bass response of the eden.

The 410 xlt just rips your head off. For me it really cuts thru in a mix and I can roll it out easily with everything on it. I've heard two 210s and for me a single 410 sounded better and more responsive.

What I did try was the 410 and 210 combined. Great attack and depth.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    havent used the Eden pair, but with my Epifani 2x10 pair, i like having that extra tweeter for some extra cut. also, the pair sits much higher for a nice tone to ear ratio.