Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two 2x10 or 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass luvah, Nov 29, 2002.

1. why have two 2x10s when you can have 1 4x10??

2. Lighter weight! Easy to carry around. Less space required. makes a great coffee table.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have smaller gigs, you may want to just take one 2x10" instead of both. With the 4x10" you don't have that option.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You can stack them on their ends which creates a line source with more projection and coherency. And they're easier to carry and hide in a small flat.

Alex

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another odd fact is that, at least in the Eden line, the 210's are a bit deeper sounding than the corresponding 410's! :eek:

Example, the D410XST is rated to have flat response to 36hz, the D210XST is rated flat to 30hz.

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I chose 2 2X10s for both reasons above.

They're easier to carry and fit in my VW (both fit easily in back seat), and sometimes I need only one for samller gigs and rehearsals.

And 2 XSTs are sweet! (listen to Gard!..he's the man).

BTB

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I have 2 2-10 cabinets because of protability (weight), it gives me the option to take only one to a gig, and I can leave one at church and one at home and not have to carry a cabinet back and forth. Another plus is being able to put a cabinet on each side of the stage. And last but not least, two 2-10 cabinets look cooler stacked than a single 4-10!:D

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Id imagine any difference in sound in a 4/10 would be due to less cab per speaker. Causing different resonant qualities..e.t.c

On a slightly different note...anyone know of a brand that markets a 2/10 for half or less of the cost of a 4/10? Or does it always save money to buy one big cab?

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I like running the two GS210's in stereo with a chorus.

10. thanks for the input guys! keep 'em comin'

:D

11. another question: if the amp has higher wattage than the speaker, i.e. swr 750x and an eden 210xlt which is rated at 300 watts, wouldn't it destroy the speakers? sorry, i'm stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff. thanks again. :D