1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two 2x10s on their side, stacked vertically

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 24, 2006.

1. I remember that I would do this with my two D-210Ts back in college and it sounded just godly. I nearly got campus police called on me one time, it shook the building so much.

Anyone else do this? It's not the most stable arrangement, especially if you have a head on top of it all, but it sure does sound good.

2. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    2 x 10's stacked vertically...

...me likey!

3. Dear God, four Acmes in a row? I'm thinking that we're coming up on "la nota café." :D

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    "la nota café"?

Depends...

...no, seriously... the audience would be well advised to be wearing Depends.:D

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You're doing it the right way. Whoever built your cabs with the intent that the drivers be horizontally arrayed is the odd man out. Drivers should almost always be vertically aligned.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The EA 210 cabs I have are pretty much strictly designed to stack vertically. Works great for me.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

that is a gorgeous setup. avalon thru a pair of acmes w/ plenty of juice is my kinda rig. :cool:

what kind of bass?

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Ah run ma BE's (Bag End) stacked vertically all the time/ I like gettin' the upper driver up near ma ear ...

9. It seems that my old EV 215 is designed to sit horizontally, with rubber feet on the side and casters on the bottom when the cab is vertical. Any ideas on why that is? I personally have had cabs sound good standing up and on their sides, depending on the room and acoustics and the stage construction.

10. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I am doing this with my rig right now as well! I stack my 210
    on its side on top of my 115 . What a difference! I am getting a matching 210 so I can tour with half a fridge! with both cabs on their side,the rig is as tall as an 810 and take up alot less space on stage. BRILLIA:D NT !!!!

11. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Great idea. I would think that vertically aligning the woofers would do at least two things:

1. Eliminate reinforcements and cancellations (comb filtering) that exist between horizontally placed drivers, which change depending upon your horizontal angle and distance from the cabinet.

2. Increase horizontal dispersion and efficiency (like the audiophile speakers and the line arrays of PA systems).

12. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas

Depends...
    :D

...on the gig (top 40, rock, R & B)!

It could be a MM SR5, or an Amer. Fender 75 RI Jazz or my favorite, a Rickenbacker 4001C64S! The rig does justice to everything I've plugged into it!

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I can see you might not want to do this on a cruise ship gig, but it's never been a problem on my landlubbing gigs...

It does indeed sound fantastic!

[​IMG]

Alex

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That comes from the 'Fernando' school of audio engineering: "I don't care if I sound good, just so long as I look good". A manufacturer's first concern is whether his product will sell, and very often what sells is what 'looks right'. For that reason audio engineering more often than not takes a back seat to visual engineering, especially in the low end, where the consumer is not likely to have technical training.

15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It's not that it was designed to be turned on it's side, they just put those rubber feet on there in case you wanted to turn it on it's side. IIRC, in the literature they said you could turn it on it's side for better coupling of the 15's with the floor.

I had one of those (wish I still did), and later got two of the B115M's for playing in stereo. I eventually took the two 15L's out of the B215M and put them in a couple of TL606 cabs that I had a guy build for me, and sold the '15less' B215M cab.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Here's mine. It's all about the vertical... :)

tfb_ea.

17. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I stack my GS210's vertically.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I used to stack my Eden 210's vertically as well. I have to admit, tho, it was mainly for practical purposes... smaller footprint on stage and gets the speakers up closer to my ears so I'm not shooting past my waist. It's just a side benefit it has all the other audio advantages. :)

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    that is absolutely awesome.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    agreed... :cool: