Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two 2x10's or 2x10 & 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Jul 5, 2001.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm the happy owner of a Hartke 3500 head and a Peavey 410tvx. But I'm thinking of getting a not so heavy rig, yet I can't complain about my peavey cab, it's been very nice to me.

I want to have a lighter rig because it's a pain to carry my 410 down and up the stairs. Also, when I have band practice, I could take only one small cab. I was thinking of trading-in my 410 for two 2x10, or for one 2x10 and one 1x15 (the cabs are all used). That way, I'll have lighter cabs and I'll get to run my Hartke the full 350 watts. Of course, the cabs will all be 8 ohms (so I'll get a 4 0hms impedance when I match them up). Apart from trading-in my 410, I'll have to pay some extra $$$ to get the two cabs, but it's not a problem.

Please let me know what would be the best choice. I'm thinking of getting either Ampeg Classic cabs or SWR cabs.

Your opinions are welcome...

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I recently went from a 2x10" + 1x15" set-up, to a two 2x10" set-up. (I'm just not a 15" speaker kind-a-guy.) I found that when you stack the two 2x10's, you get a "coupling" effect that increases the low end. I'm liking the two 2x10's much better than the 2x10 + 1x15 set-up :) . YMMV

BTW, I'm using a Peavey 210TXF(carpet) and a 210TVX(vinyl).

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    And I AM a 15-incher kinda guy, so I'm using one of each (Peavey 210TXF and 115BX BW).

Really like the sound the combination gives me -- nice punch from the 10s and lots of bottom from the 15. Also, sometimes I use the 210 alone (it's actually got a lot of bottom).

But it's a personal taste thing -- as you can see, Slater and I have different opinions. Try it both ways and see what you like.

I think Gard uses two 2x10s too, so maybe he'll weigh in. If not, you could PM him.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a long time 410 guy who has looked at 210's and 115's as an alternative. As it turns out most 115's are about 30 pounds lighter than my 410 but aren't that much smaller in size. The 210's are lighter and smaller but you have to "carry" a 210 whereas I can "roll" my 410. The only place that the 410 is a disadvantage is on stairs. But that hasn't been a huge problem for me. What do you think the REAL purpose of drummers is?