Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 2x10's vs. one 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Jul 5, 2001.

1. will they sound the same? The reason i want to get two 2x10's is that i think it'll be easier to lug around. And easier to get in the car. I really dig the sound of 10's, i find anything bigger than a 12" is too ..um..bassy for me. should cabinet space (4x10 has bigger cab, of course) be taken into account? that matters, right?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Besides the portability advantage, if something goes wrong with one of your 2x10's you're still in the ball game.

3. I think 2 2x10s would be better (more expensive too), I guess you would just have to pay attention the impedence of cabs, one 4 ohm 4x10 would be easier on your amp than 2 4 ohm 2x10s.

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    A single 4x10 is generally better than 2 2x10s. This is because in a 4x10 there is a coupling effect where the volume, clarity, and general punch is increased over having two separate cabinets.

5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Two 2x10s would be nice to use but will cost more, a small 4x10 at 4 ohms would give you more DBs and output from your head, a 8 ohm 4x10 will give you less output, check out the SWR 4x10 it is small and sounds great, 2x10s will be more space and two to drag to a gig. I would look for a small 4X10 at 8 ohms it will cost less and will give you more bottom and down the line you can add to it where the two 2x10 would drop your ohms to 4 ohms and to add on would be to low for most amps.

6. A 2x10 also isn't going to have the wattage of 4 speakers either.

7. I have two Eden D210XLT's that I run in stereo. That's one good reason to have two 2x10's instead of one 4x10. The effect is incredible! Especially when doing slap stuff with ping-pong echos.

And yes, they are easier to carry around. I wanted something I could handle easily by myself and stick in my back seat. The 2x10's were perfect.

- Dave

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    ??
    Speakers dont have "Wattage"
    They have "Power Handling"
    Sensivity and Maximum SPL.. (and many other specs)
    If you meant a 2x10 wont be as LOUD as a 4x10 , I agree. But it still depends on the design of each cab.

a 106dB 2x10 is going to be a lot louder than a 90dB 4x10
    (I think)

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If I was buying them, I would certainly prefer the portability of the 2 2x10s over the single 4x10.

Everyone here has valid points. So if your main desire is to have a portable rig that gives you the "10s" sound. I think the 2 2x10s will work for you.

As other people have mentioned... just watch your ohmages.

Good luck. :)

10. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    You will pay more, but try to buy both at the same time toget a volume discount. Many 2x10's are not that small so take a pair to the parking-lot and test-drive them in your ride (learned this HARD lesson years ago)! One thing you've overlooked, if you have a stereo power amp you can practice through one cab and play a drum machine through another or even loop you own "rythym bass" through half (vie boomerang, sampler, MD...) and play "lead bass" (ala Spinal-Tap) through the other half. RGDS

11. money isn't a very big problem for me because it'll be my birthday pretty soon so i'll be getting some cash from relatives and stuff.

but i think i'll get rid of my current 4 ohm 2x10 and get two 8 ohm. (i really wish carvin offered a choice of ohms..)

thanks for all the insights!

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I would say the the 2 2x10's have more versatility than a single 4x10. You have the advantage of experimenting with positioning of the cabinets which increases your sound options.

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The only place the 410 is a disadvantage is stairs. I would rather roll my 410 across the parking lot that carry a 210.

From a tone perspective I like the 410. I think that a double ported 410 is deeper than two single ported 210's.But that's my ears.

While I appreciate Dave Grossman's opinion on the stereo effect I disagree.I think that "stereo bass" is an oxymoron. If you play a gig in front of 1000 people with the first half in (2) 210 stereo and then switch to a 410 in bridged mono and poll the audience - 1000 people will tell you they couldn't hear the difference. Stereo amps IMO only provide cabinet mixing flexibility. The stereo part is useless.

14. I should have made it more clear that I'm using a Line6 Modulation Modeler and a Delay Modeler which both have stereo effects. It's not very useful for normal bass playing but for solo psychedelic kinda stuff, it's great! How it fares onstage, I don't know yet. In practice situations it's really cool! I'll post some recordings sometime. I don't have anything right now.

- Dave

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Stereo bass isn't any oxymoron if you have an Alembic Series I or II which has stereo ouput. Each pickup can go to a separate channel.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're running stereo out of your amp there's no reason you can't send that to two channels of a stereo PA and pan them hard. The audience will indeed hear the effect.

The only reason to carry a 210 across a parking lot is lack of a hand cart;)...which BTW is more comfortable than leaning over and pushing a 410.

I use one...it works!

17. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I bought an SWR goliath jr III at Sam Ash several years ago (since sold earlier this year). The salesman and I both are older veteran players who coincidentally were about to get new eyeglasses.

We both looked at the back of the cabinet before it went up to the front of the store and it said 8 ohms. I played it at home and it seemed louder than another 8 ohmer I had. I looked at the back again when I wanted to adjust the attenuator down a little on the horn, took of my old pair of glasses and saw it was a 4 ohm cabinet!!

I returned it the next day and exchanged it for an 8 ohmer. As obvious as it might be to some of us, you do have to be very concious of the ohmage not being less than your head's capable of!!

I have always gotten heads that have a 2 ohm rating on them. I've used up to 2 to 4 smaller cabinets on jobs. No casters on any of 'em, therefore, I agree with Brad Johnson that even with 2 smaller cabinets, get a hand cart or a rack and roll 4 wheeler cart. I can get my head, 3 cabinets, my monitor, music stand, cord bags, mike stand, and bass in one trip from the car. If there's stairs, the casters on the 4 10 doesn't do you any good anyways + you can only carry your amp on top and many times it's not stable, especially if it's in a rack.