Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 4 Ohm cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Can I run 2 4 ohm cabs and get them to have a total of 8 ohms? I want to be able to get my cabs to run at8 ohms so i can bridge my WT-800 and put out 800 watts at 8 ohms. So i would have my 4 ohms (600 watt rms PRO cab) and then Id have the "X" cab that is 4 ohms. Is this possible or am I dreaming?

2. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Nope, Two 4 ohms cabs = 2 ohms load...

ain't math fun?

:p

3. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    i thought there is 2 different ways to run cabs... i could run series (what you showed me) and parrellel where you combine ohms. right?

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yes and physics is equally as fun. I run 2 4 ohm cabinets @ 8 ohms via a SERIES connection, not parallel like your equation. I just emailed that link to JSCHRO7376 this morning... Todd and Patty @ http://www.procablesnsound.com/ were introduced to me by TBer 'Biker4him' a couple months back when I was looking for the best custom cable maker to make me a series speaker wire.

Thanks again for sending me their way Henry! I'm ordering some custom cables for recording soon too :bassist:

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not sure how much you'd gain by doing that. IIRC, if you put one 4 ohm cab on each side of that amp, you get 400 W into each cab, for a total of 800 W. If you wire the cabs in series, then bridge the amp into 8 ohms, you get 800 W. Bridging an amp into X ohms is pretty much like running it into X/2 ohms per side.

7. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Alright, so i guess i have two options...
    eithere i can buy a special cable and run it in a series and bridge my amp and push 800 watts through the whole thing

or

I can take both cabs and run them stereo and in bi amp mode. pushing 400 watts through each cab. Still underpowering my ampeg PRO cab but making it louder then just one cab so i dont have to run it as hard.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Either way it's 800W into two cabs, it's really just options he has. And also he'd then have the option of full range always, or bi-amp mode; some people like one over the other. Just my $0.02, and IMO.

Ray

9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Or option three; Sell your Eden Wt800, get a Navigator head, if you like the Eden preamp, and then buy a Power amp which will give you more power, better headroom and hold up ALOT better......... Plus you won't ever run into the power problem with a quality power amp and power and this ohmage issue.

And there is no reason to bridge your amp to 800 at 8 ohm verse 400 per channel at 4 ohm. Your right in that you are still under powering your cabs.

Best of luck,
    Brian

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You gotta disabuse yourself of the idea of "underpowering" a cab. There ain't no such thing. You can only be underpowered for your gig, and if you are, that's got nothing at all to do with the power handling capacity of your cab. If 400 W isn't cutting it with a cabinet of efficiency X, it won't cut it whether that cab is rated for 600 W, 400 W, or 200 W. It's all about (1) power available, (2) cabinet efficiency, and (3) desired/needed volume/tone.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, he's worried about it clipping, due to him having to turn up just to be heard. Kinda a miswording...

Ray

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not really. The WTs don't do biamp. The do stereo, which is dual full-range. There's no possibility of choosing between biamping and full range. You're full range no matter what you do.

EDIT: No wait, I think I'm wrong. Forget I said that! I believe the 800 can do biamp. But you don't have to biamp to run stereo. You can just go stereo full range.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree, a bigger amp would help. A second cab would help too.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    My mistake, I openly admit I don't know much about Eden amps, I was just going off the general knowledge I have.

Ray

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    See above. Regarding that model, you were righter than I was. You can biamp, though you don't have to.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I didn't see that edit until after I made my post. In either case, I was thinking wrong, but I think it still might work? lol
    Dude, here's what you can do:
    New amp:
    Pre/power, new head with more wattage or whatever. This will give you the headroom you need, no more clipping into your current cab.
    New cab 1:
    Sell your 410Hlf, and buy a more efficient, maybe more speaker'd cab.
    New cab 2:
    Keep your 410Hlf and add onto it. More speakers will give you more volume.

I'm sure there's more, but I dunno.

Ray

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Seriously, 400w going into each cab should be quite loud enough! How loud do you really need to be? Really? 400w going into any cab is not underpowering it! That's overpowering some cabs!

18. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks for all of your input! Its underpowering my cab when i turn up and my output lights start to flicker. My cab is rated at 600 watts rms @ 4 ohms and has a 1200 watt program handeling. So I believe that more power would be safer for the cab i have. So i think.

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Again, you're not underpowering your cab. That's a completely meaningless concept. You need more power because you want/need to play louder. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with your cab's power handling. If your cab handled less power, and thus was supposedly better matched to your amp, you'd be *worse* off, not better--assuming equal efficiency--because you'd still be having to turn your amp up just as high and the cab would have less of a safety margin.