1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two 410's for One 810?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Nov 23, 2010.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Well today I finely took the Plunge and could not be happier. For the last year i have been running 2 SWR Goliath 410 cabs...and dont get me wrong i loved them and they were pretty versatile...But man i hated bending over and packing them things around....so i did what any sensible Bass player would do!!! I traded off one of my 410's....and went for the easy manageable single cab solution ..... I got an 810!!!:eek:... What??? you may ask are you crazy??.... Well I guess so. I have found it easier for me by myself to tilt back roll and maybe even drag 154lb's up stairs on the skid bars...then it is to have to bend way over and grab a 80+ lb cab and pack it up stairs!! So yeah i could not be happier with my choice and man...I finely Got my self a Real Fridge!!!...So i guess i am just wondering if there is anyone else out there thats shares how i feel about it ...or maybe i am just the only crazy one??? Feel Free to give your thoughts!!! Cheers All....Elliot a.k.a Canadain*eh!!

P.s....I i did keep one of my 410's for the small gigs!!;)

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    nice! big stuff is fun! i'm with you...you can always use leverage with 810's but 410's cause you to have to deadlift.

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Man my wife is even able to move it around with ease...and she is not a very big person!!! It is easy to move with one person and even easier with two...kinda a win win for me!!

4. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

SOOOO shiny..
    Never played the 810..but have a goliath III...and it is really the best/meatiest/lowest/bowel shakingest 410 ive ever played..I can only imagine what the 810 is like.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Feeling is believing when it come to this beast... Kinda like the Goliath...but a lil bit more Punch...well alot more.....and like i said easier to move around!!

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I don't think it's crazy at all - I went thru a similar experience: I gigged with a 210+410 rig for a couple of years, 'til I finally realized that rolling in one bigger cab was easier than dealing with 2 separates... A couple of years later, I've never regretted that decision - and currently have a 610, 810, 215, and 115 - and use whichever I want, depending on the situation...

I would say that *if* a player mostly played in loud bands that frequently gigged decent sized places, one larger cab is usually a better fit for that situation than 2 smaller ones... JMHO, and IME - but there it is... oh, and here's my 810:

PH810-1.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Nice cab mate!! I look at it this way....most people say what you need a big cab for it is over kill and it is to much...but for me i just tell them it is not about volume... cause hell i can always turn down...it is about the quality of sound that it get from it that i dont get from anything else.... I much would rather prefer have way too much then not enough!! My Sax player kept bugging about running the 2 410 cabs and that i should only use one. I told him if he kept it up i was just going to get one big cab that cant be split and there would be nothing he could do about it...lol Which i did. But then a couple of weeks ago we were playing after church and he came up to me and said....man now i know why you take both cabs cause the sound you get from it is so sweet..he said i am not ever going to bug you about it again... i like the sound you are getting and i now see you could not get it without running what you are running...so yeah i guess it worked out good in the end!! There is just somthing about the feel you get from that 810 that i never got from one 410!!

8. Comgrats on the new cab, it's nice. Is that a CARVIN bass in the picture?

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Thanks - yours is pretty nice, too...

In *my* situation, part of it actually is about volume - I'm in a loud 2 guitar band, with a 6505+ halfstack next to me, and a triple rec halfstack on the other side... Although my 610 would get loud enough, I can hear myself much better with the 810 - and it didn't hurt that I got a killer deal on the 810...

- georgestrings

10. Yes. LB75 or a B5 with the MM style humbucker. I have four, three sixes and a bolt on five I assembled from their parts.

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Yeah Man It is...A carvin LB75 with stack hummbucker for the Front pickup, a splitter coil switch of the back hummbucker and a active passive switch... IMHO one of the best bass ever esp for the price!!

12. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    2 410's are wayyyyy more versatile than an 810 any day of the week!

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Really?? Please Explain how so...I had 2 of them for over a year and they were a pain in the A$$... so for me i dont really think so. I mean the Megoliath is made up of 2 independent 410 cabs that can be ran together or apart ... then again i guess that the Megoliath is not all 810 cabs out there.So if i decide that 810s are to much then i just unplug one cab.... But that wont happen in my case...if anything i will just use a lil thing called the "volume" and turn it down!! I just know for myself that it is very very easy to move around...and hey i still do have i 410 cab so if i ever just want somthing small i still have it!;)

14. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    Not all gigs call for an 810 ... thats enough right there!
    When I gig big gigs I use both of my 410's but when Im at practice or smaller shows I peel off the top 410 and go! But I can see if your not equipped with the right set up it can be a pain in the butt. My road case make it easy for me to make a "go-go gadget rig that makes my life easer.

l_666801a9cbcf441e92a5121a5c6920be.
    [​IMG]

15. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    that is a pretty sweet lil rig you got there!! And yes you are right not all places call for an 810...and that is why i did still hang on to one of my 410s just for that reason...I dont think i will be using it very ofter but i do have it when i need it. Just for me with my band we are kind of a funk/motown type of band even though we do play in some small places i still need my Fridge cause we can and do get loud and it is great for me hearing my self as well as the drummer hearing me.. esp when we dont always have the luck of playing through an in house system... But yeah each to there own i guess andif it works great for you then that is Awesome!!! :)

16. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    To the OP - Killer rig man! I would love to crank both of those cabs together, and see how much that GK can really put out!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    eh, i have a smaller rig for the smaller stuff.

18. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Thankx man. Well If my GK Head could go down to 2.6 ohms i would do it....so for now i can only use one at a time...but i do plan on in the not to far future to get another power amp to run them all together!!... No lack of bottom end here!!

19. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn

What he said! :bassist:

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

What if all of a player's gigs actually DO call for an 810??? In my situation, I'll never be able to get by with just a 410 - so, moving around a pair of them is a pain in the neck when compared to moving a single 810...

As always, YMMV - but I've already done the separate cab deal, and won't be going back...

- georgestrings