1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two 4ohm cabinet hookup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alex nevermind, Dec 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. alex nevermind

alex nevermind

Dec 8, 2017
    I have two Eden D410xst 4ohm cabinets 1000 watts and a GK 1001 700/50 watts head does anyone know a way two use both cabinets without frying my amp.

2. Get a series box/cable and use them as 8ohm combined. This will run at 480w but the extra speakers should make more than enough volume.

Wisebass, mcnach, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  3. Just jumping in to say welcome to Talk Bass Alex. And to confirm our friend from down under’s post.

Edit: I would like to add that you should use SpeakOn cables for this job. !/4” Phone plugs are not up to the service.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  4. Just wanted to add that "daisy chaining" from one cab to the other is NOT a series connection and will fry your amp.

You need a specially made series cable, or a series box.

Octoplus and Al Kraft like this.
  5. You can buy a series speaker box, or make your own.

<link removed - not appropriate for the application>

The wiring is quite simple & someone could probably post a diagram of how to do it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Fair point, it would be best assembled using SpeakON connectors.

700 Watts at 8 Ohms will be 460 Watts / 8 Ohms = Amperes squared

so, 460-W/8-O = 57.5
    square root that & you get over 7-1/2 Amps at max power, Wow!

Where do we draw the line at using SpeakON vs. 1/4" jacks?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Please
    Correct me if I’m wrong as I’m not familiar with that head

In my opinion IF that Head is solid state
    then you should be adle to run both cabs and achieve full volume / power potential with no issues down to 2 ohms

Some solid state heads (especially vintage Acoustic and Sunn) operated optimally by running (2)-4ohm cabinets = 2 ohms now and reveal full power

Tube amps ? NO

Alex, TB is an excellent source for information as well as opinions such as mine

Welcome to Talkbass!

8. Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Pbassmanca and zon6c-f like this.
  9. alex nevermind

alex nevermind

Dec 8, 2017
    Just got through reading about the new Eden WT900. It has a setting where you can safely power two 4ohm cabinets.

zon6c-f likes this.
  10. Mesa's D800+ also supports 2 Ohm loads.

Element Zero and Al Kraft like this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Mesa D800 will drive two 4 ohm cabinets all day long.

Pbassmanca, Element Zero and Al Kraft like this.
  12. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I use a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.2.

mwbonsall likes this.
  13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You're wrong.

Ohm ratings on amps aren't a matter of opinion.

Every amp has a rated load you can't safely exceed. It has nothing to do with whether it is tube or solid state.

There are amps of both types that can operate at 2 ohms. There are amps of both types that can't go beyond 4.

14. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    The statement which implied that solid state, all solid state, amps “should” have no difficulty handling 2 ohm impedance loads cannot be allowed to pass unchallenged. In fact, until fairly recently, SS amps could rarely drive 2 ohms safely. It’s the quickest way to fry your amp.

Raf

Pbassmanca and Inara like this.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Palmer Audio Tools PCABM Passive Cabinet Merger

upload_2017-12-8_21-50-18.

16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    If you’re running more than 100 watts, you should be using Speakon connectors which can handle the current Output of nearly all amps and are as mechanically solid a connector as you will find.

Speakons are easy to wire and they lock into place, so you don’t have to worry about plugs coming out.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. One of the inherent problems of using 1/4" plugs & jacks with a Class D amp is that the sleeve side of the jacks is connected to the metal enclosure, which should NOT be grounded when using a Class D amp.
    If that metal box comes into contact with other metal it could be catastrophic for the amp.
    Just another reason to use SpeakON connectors, since both wires are insulated from the enclosure.

Wisebass, BassmanPaul and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    It doesn't really have to do with tube or solid state amps, though it did seem to be a bit more common for those old tube amps to have a 2 ohm tap than these days. There's not too many newer solid state amps out there that are 2 ohm stable, you just don't see it that often in bass amps.

If the amp is stable down to 2 ohms (regardless of whether it is tube or solid state), then running both of those cabs in parallel will be fine. I don't think OP's Gallien Krueger head does that, though. Pretty sure it is a 4 ohm minimum load.

19. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I had a similar issue "back in the day". Had a Traynor YBA3 head and two Fender bottoms, a 2x15 and a 4x12, both 4 ohms. Tried running them daisy chained and kept popping the breaker on the head. Made myself a series wiring rig and boom...problem solved. My "wall of bass".

Pbassmanca likes this.