Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 4x10's or 2x10 + 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NoSuchLuck, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Any advantages to either set-up?
    Any other set-up suggestions?

2. two 4x10's is probably going to be louder, but more to carry around.

Is the volume worth the weight?

Most TB'ers would compare 4x10's to a 2x10 + 1x15 setup, but two 4x10's is a big difference.

Are the 4x10's the same make and efficiency rating as the 2x10 + 1x15 setup?

3. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I use the 2x10 and 1x15 setup and like it a lot.

I think the 4x10 move more air but with two cabs my head pushes 400w instead of the 260w it would with the 4x10.

One cab is 45lbs and the other is 65lbs. So I can move them by myself (or use only one cab if appropriate) a 4x10 is about 100lbs. At my age 100lbs and a stairway is a daunting task. (I was born in the 1st half of the LAST century you know):) .

Good luck,

Siggy

4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    personally i would choose the 15 and 2x10

untl recently i hae played through an older ampeg 8x10, VERY HEAVY and VERY LARGE. it was impossible to move it from my drummers house were we practice, but now i have a Carvin RL115, and am going back in a month to get a 2x10, to top it off. it'll fit perfectly in the back of my car.

also you should consider which company and the specs of each. some are higher wattage handling, and some 4x10s are tuned deeper than some 15s. for me i love and need the low end (5 string tune to A sometimes G when the guitarists need to go to C)

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I use a 2x10 and 1x15 set up as well. Excellent tonal range and quality. I also get the full power of the amp at 4 ohms, where I'd only get a little more than 2/3s with on 4x10 @ 8 ohms.

6. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    I use a 4x10 +1x15" configuration. I like the sound, is strong and have enough power.

But be aware of the impedance of both systems. If you use diferent configuration for the cabinets you should verify if the impedance is adapted to the Amp. and both cabinets should have similar power.