Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two 4x10s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Here I am again, with my inablity to comprehend amp/head combinations. I want eight 10s. I do not want an 8x10 cab. I am not strong enough and don't have roadies. SO, I want two 4x10s.

My preferred head is the Ampeg SVT4Pro.

RMS Power Output (2 ohms) : 600 x 2
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms) : 490 x 2/1200
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms) : 300 x 2/900

The Ampeg 4x10 cabs are 4 ohms. So I assume there are two 4 ohm outputs on the head. Which would mean 490 watts to each 4x10 cab, right?

Also are the BSE-410HLF cabs any good? I have yet to try them. Thanks.

2. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    start lifting :p

3. ...or just get two 4x10s.

4. If you are set on a full ampeg setup than the bxt 410 (victor wooten's cab) is really sweet.
    But in that same price range you could grab two eden 410xlt's and never worry about cabs again IMO. look for edens used- pretty cheap.

5. Two D-410 XLT cabs. You could even get the D-410xlt + a D-210 XLT (4 ohms each) You will cut the weight a lot.
    Those bxt 410s LOOK expensive.
    I don't know, but I don't feel good about ampeg cabs. They are probably fine, but IMO they are expensive Crates.

Hell, they are comming out with a Berg 6-10 soon!!! But if you want stereo capabilities, you gotta have two cabs.

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    ...or you could just get the Ampeg 8x10 cab. It's basically a hand truck with speakers in it. I moved around an Ampeg 2x15 (same size) by myself for years and it really isn't that big a deal. The part of that rig that REALLY sucked to move around was actually the head. The SVT Classic head clocks in at 90-some-odd pounds. It's like, heavy and stuff.

7. How do the Edens sound? What type of low mid high do they have?

The two 4x10s would just be more convenient than an 8x10 so at this point it isn't really an option.

8. Eden cabs sound VERY even and rich through the whole bass range. The thing is that a lot of other cabs have different characters, like being too boomy, or too glassy or harsh, or too honky.
    The low mids is where you feel AND hear the kind of bass that makes you smile.

BTW Eden makes a D-810 XLT.

See www.eden-electronics.com

9. moweezil

moweezil

Dec 2, 2001
    In your original post I believe you stated that adding 2 4ohm cabs would give you 490watts x 2. I'm pretty sure that each cab would be getting 600watts instead of 490.

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've got two eden 410XLT's... and also a 70's Ampeg 8x10. Although the SVT is bigger and heavier, I think it's is easier to move around. It's not like you're going to haul any 100-pound 4x10 cab up a flight of stairs by yourself anyway!

11. True. But there are between 20 and 40 very steep stairs to our practice space. The bandmates dont much care for moving stuff up and down and up and down again.

12. I gotta carry mine up 3 flights. It sucks.
    I bought a lawn & garden dolly.

13. the amp's "stereo", giving 490/4ohms each side, or 600w/2ohms. he'd wanna connect a 4x10 to each side of the amp, but if need be, he could go 2 x 4x10 on each side, or, my favourite, 2 x 8x10 on each side. YOWZA! :D :D

14. eden's sound like bass should sound. There are cab's out there that have more clarity and "natural" sound- but not a big enough differrence to be twice as much $ as eden. Eden cab's are ssssooooo punchy, it's that punch that you feel in your chest. They have an emphasis on low mids that really make them cut.

ROCKBOBMEL- I am not a fan of ampeg cab's either (at all) but the bxt's don't sound like any ampeg's I've ever heard. I think that Victor Wooten got a good sponsorship from ampeg but he still wanted good cabs so he desinged his own. I haven't compared them directly to eden but I think that they are on the same level- eden is just the perfect cab IMO.

15. I like the thick, woolly sound of Ampeg cabinets, but they're pretty damn inefficient, and don't excell terribly with that low-mid punch kinda thang...

16. Hey Nomadic Herder,

IMO You'd probably make out fine with 2 D210XLT's and stack them on their ends. It's great to have a huge amp but it seems to me that 2 4x10s isn't practical at all for you. Your back will thank you and you'll still get a huge sound. You won't get buried during practice and you'll be able to handle most rooms without PA support. For gigs where you go through the FOH just bring one cab for a stage monitor.

Jeff