1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two 8 ohm cab vs 1 4 ohm cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cire113, Jan 18, 2012.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    I read all the faqs but still quite confused..

lets say we have all identical cabs... 2 cabs are 8 ohm version.. and 1 cab is 4 ohm version..

techincally do the 2 8 ohm cabs produce as much volume as the 1 4ohm cab?

I was thinking of getting a markbass 102p 4ohm cab to go with my 4ohm walkabout scout head....

Or would i be better off getting two 8ohm cabs?

Do you get what I'm saying..

2. in my personal experience, YES. Two 8 ohm cabs will make as much noise as one 4 ohm cabinet.

3. 1 4 ohm 4 x 10 would make as much noise as 2 8 ohm 2x10's of the same maker, generally speaking.
    2 8 ohm 2x10s would spank 1 4 ohm 2x10 of the same maker.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First, if 2 cabs have different impedances, than they cannot be identical. Secondly, volume, or loudness, is a product of speakers, so naturally, more speakers equals more loud. Lastly, in your case, with a 4 ohm WA Scout, I would suggest either a pair of small 8 ohm cabs, or 1 large 4 ohm cab, but use it with the head only, NOT in addition to the Scout combo.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Number of drivers > impedance for volume.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    More.

Doubling power gets you 3db provided the speaker can do anything with the extra power.

Doubling speakers with the same amount of power gets you 3db.

With the 4ohm cab you'd only be increasing power.

With two 8ohm cabs you are both doubling speaker count AND increasing power from dropping impedance from 8 to 4 ohms.

There is also a little bit of "synergy" or increase in bass output from coupling more speakers. Something to do with center to center cone distance as it relates to wavelength, hard to explain but it's there.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

+1

Identical means just that...completely identical. Changing a single spec affects others and they are no longer identical.

The rest of the math still applies.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You're louder because you're pushing more air with 2 cabs not due to increased power since it'll be the same.

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Most important thing to remember (generally speaking and all things being equal, blah blah) more speakers means more sound (volume).

In your example, the two 8 ohm cabs would be louder than the single 4 ohm cab, since you'd have the same amount of power driving two speakers instead of just one.