Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Acme B2s or Demeter 3x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman52, Sep 15, 2002.

1. bassman52

bassman52

Sep 12, 2002
    Have been reading your reviews of the Acme speakers and smaller cabs.
    I am looking for a small speaker system that I can carry on my own, and add another cab, probably a 4x10 for larger gigs.
    My ideal would be two 4x10 cabs but at 80 or 90 lbs in weight that is just too heavy.
    So my alternatives are two 2x10 Acme cabs (a B2 and B2W at 50lbs each) or a Demeter 3x10 (at 60 lbs).
    I have tried the one new SWR 210 and that certainly could not handle the lows a 410 so I am concerned that two 210 cabs are not going to cut a low B string.
    Could anyone compare two 2x10s and one 3x10 for low bass, or any ideas which would be the best.
    For use with a SWR Mo Bass.

Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe...

funny you should mention those two cabs... :D;)

but its all dependant on your app. and sound preference, cause they're both very different. the Acme's hifi and DI like. pretty much a transparent medium so you can hear exactly what your preamp and bass sound like. if you want something more bass conventional yet with a audiophile twist, then the Dem's. both are easily portable, so its up to what sound you want.

but, if you know you're gonna upgrade to two 4x10's later, and you have the moolah, then by all means, grab two Demeters. but for the price of one Dem, you could get two Acme's.

3. bassman52

bassman52

Sep 12, 2002
    Thanks, I just wonder if the Acmes 2x10s can really handle a low B string with some power, I read that some one found that it gave up on low notes. I would like the Acmes but the trouble of ordering does worry me, even with the return policy if I don't like it.

4. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    They'll handle the lows. My B-4 sounds pretty massive. You might want to compare the efficiencies between the Demeter and Acmes if that is important. I know that to gain a flat response to 31hz, you have to give up some efficiency.
    The B-2 will go MUCH lower than the SWR and I think with the 5" midrange and dome tweeter, you will be impressed with the way it'll reproduce your bass. BTW you might want to contact Andy at Acme and ask about using the MoBass. See what he says about the effects and what they'll do to the speakers.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Acmes will handle a low B......no problem, but for some reason don't get along with octave devices:(

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bassman,

what music are you gonna use the cabs? how big are your venues? might help us better understand where you're coming from.

7. bassman52

bassman52

Sep 12, 2002
    I like a bit of everything :D (like most of us), love some octave and big reggae super low bass, general funk, like slap.
    As for volume, it is not so loud but it needs to be clean. I have never had an amp more than 200w before, so I am not expecting to use all 900w. But I have never had a setup that could reproduce the real low bass, and I think that needs lots of power to reproduce cleanly.

Hope that helps.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The new Eden XST 2/10's are supposed to have great low end........not as light as the Acmes tho..

9. Also check out the Euphonic Audio 1x12. It has great low end and clarity and it's 10 dB louder than the Acme 2x10. (It could produce the same volume with 1/10 of the power.)

10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yeah, effect are a big no-no with acme cabs especially overdrive.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're gonna use octave low effects, then the Acme's a no-go. andy says the lower than low freq will get exaggerated and wreak havoc with the speakers. personally, its kinda ironic to me, only cause you'd think something that goes down to 30hz would easily eat up octave effects for lunch. oh well.

if that's the case, then the Dem's a great option. and like i said, the Dem would be a better choice if you're building up to a dual 4x10 stack.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that that volume differential applies only over the frequency range over which response is reasonably flat. If you get into frequencies where one cab is +/- 3 dB but the other isn't, efficiency differences can go away.

For example if cab A is less efficient but is down only - 3dB at, say 38 Hz, and cab B is more efficient generally from 60 Hz to 17 kHz but is down maybe - 12dB at 38 Hz, then at 38 Hz, cab B's efficiency advantage is counterbalanced by the tailing off of its frequency response. In other words, given the same input signal, the two cabs might put out about the same amount of volume at 38 Hz.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    <--------...passes hand over his head...

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    What I mean is, IIRC even though a cab might be much louder than an Acme for a given amount of power at, say, 250 hz, it might not be louder at all for a given amount of power at, say, 31 Hz. If that's important to you.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep. It may be the case that the Acme is more efficient at 30Hz than the EA.

I think the problem with Acme cabs and effects is that, typically, you've got a lot more power on tap with them than other cabs, so if you send some serious subharmonic signals to the amp, you can do all the more damage.