Two Aguilar GS-112's or One Genz-Benz Neo-X 212T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by main_sale, Nov 13, 2004.

1. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm trying to decide which way to go here. Either but two Aguilar GS-112's or one Genz-Benz Neo-X 212T. They come to be about the same money. I'm looking for maximum tone from a portable package. Please give me the benefit of your experience with these excellent cabinets.
  2. I haven't played through either cab aside from a minutes' worth w/ the 212, but picking it up- it's very light. Also, an upright 2x12 may put the amp head at a better height(than a single 12). I'm interested in this same question- post your findings, eh?
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    just another option to consider: one Schroeder 1210.
  4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Not to be a jerk, but do a search, this topic has been discussed many times here. I myself had this dilemma, I opted for 2ea 112's. I run 2ea Aggie GS112's. I had a GS212 along with my pair of GS112's. I sold the 212 and kept the pair of 112's.
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    not to be contentious, but with something as new as the g-b neo's i think it is cool to ask for new info (or do a search and then ask).
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I didin't get to do a direct AB but I strongly preferred the GB NEO-212 to the Aggie 112's. But keep in mind the GS-_12 cabs are probably my least favorite mod-high end cab as much as I wanted to like them (price, size availablity, etc)...
  7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Sorry, I have been out of the loop for a while. I didn't know the GB Neo's were a new cab.
  8. i would try out GB neo. but i think the modular approach is cool because you may only need one cab sometimes and it is easier to carry.

lo-freq: why not schroeder 1212? they all seem to be the same price.
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have two GS112s and love them. The modular approach is convenient. I tried the GB 112s definitely weighs less, but I didn't like the shape. Didn't think it would stack with other things. Overall it wasn't bad, but didn't blow me away...

The GS112s as a pair are great for small to medium gigs. I don't think they are as loud as some 212s IMHO
  10. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    No question, get the G-B. I have two of these bad boys, and they are awesome. They have great tone, are very smooth and tight, handle a low B with ease, and are LOUD. I tried the Aggie 2X12, and the G-B has much better low end and is much louder. The Schroeders have great tone too, but the G-B again has much more serious bottom and is considerably louder. I compared the G-B side-by-side with an AccuGroove Bill Dickens Signature, with every intention of buying two AccuGrooves; instead, I have two G-B's. The Neo212 will give you great highs if you want them, and will rattle the rafters when you hit that low B. It is light and easily maneuverable.
    As you might imagine from the above comparisons, I tried everything I could find before I settled on G-B---several other major brands and several configurations---and nothing seriously challenged the Neo212. And no I do not have any connection with or stock in G-B; I am just very impressed and happy with their cabs.
  11. basskillah

basskillah Justus League

Sep 14, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Roscoe Guitars
    PPPSHHHHHH! Get the Aggies! I owned two of them for about 2 years, and loved them! their something scandleously light like 35-40lbs/ea. and would RMS 600 watts (paired). I didn't like that they were 8 OHMS (wished they were 4) but man....they're sweet! I've never really LOVED anything Genz-Benz... :meh:
  12. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Thanks for the input. I have not made a decision yet, although I'm leaning towards the GB, but in any event, it look like I'm in a win/win situation.
  13. joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    Well, if portability/power handling ratio is important Schroeder is the way to go from everything I've heard. I am trying to engineer a way to change out my 4 x 10 to get a Schroeder cab that handles more power and weighs 36 lbs. less.
  14. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    At a local store, I tried the Eden 112, Ampeg 112, Aggie GS112 and the Genz 112 and the Genz was by far my favorite. It had the bottom of the GS112 but still retained the mids which is a huge deal to me. I can only imagine how potent a Genz 212 would be. I've been considering one myself or better yet if I can find a head to handle it, a Genz 212 with a matching Genz 112 on top. Sweet!! :hyper: