1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Aguilar GS212's vs. one GS212 + two GS112's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peabody, Dec 28, 2006.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    First of all, I apologize for my ignorance on this, but I have to ask...

I am currently playing through two Aguilar GS212's (4 ohms each). I have been using an Aguilar DB750, but will soon be switching to a Mesa Big Block 750, but that's not important right now.

My question is, what will happen (if anything) if I substitute two GS112's (8 ohms each) for one of the GS212's? I realize the load will still be 2 ohms, but I'm wondering what will happen to the sound...again, if anything. I'm using the two 212's for classic rock (loud and clean), but I'm going to be doing some jazz-type stuff, so I'm looking for to create a "smaller version of my stuff" (as George Carlin would say).

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried something similar to this and what they found. Thanks!

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I changed the title a little to better reflect my question. Thanks!

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think having the 2 separate GS112s will be better for smaller setups, gigs or rehearsahls. I've read around here that 2 GS112s sound depper and bassier than a GS212, but I havent' tried the 212 (i do own 2 GS112s). The GS112 cab is deeper lenghtwise than the 212 so that may explain for the better bass response that people talk about.

Anybody else feel free to chime in and help us out.:smug:

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i like the sound of my GS212 better than i did of 2 GS112's. I think the mid's sound a little scooped in the GS112 whereas it's less of that in the GS212. Heck if i were you, i'd just get a GS412.

5. JFleet

JFleet

Feb 10, 2011
    I've been playing through (2)-GS112s for a few years, primarily with a '62 Jazz bass and 575W Ashdown EVO 500 head, but still miss the sound of the GS212 I played through before buying: to my ears, the GS212 is much deeper and punchier, and the mids drip with richness. When I demo'd it in the top bass store in Seattle, other players in the store at the time, taken with the sound, were compelled to come over and ask which cabinet I was playing through. I'm still looking for a used one. I went with the (2)-GS112s, for portability, and one is often sufficient.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If they are loaded with the same drivers and the 112 is half the net internal volume of the 212 tuned the same the result will be the same. In technical terms this is the result of the Superposition Principle. In lay terms one plus one equals two.