1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

two amazing 5s, one pitiful budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xajuran, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Xajuran

Xajuran

May 13, 2012
    Ok deep tone musicians, I have narrowed my purchase options to a couple beauties and thought I'd ask the crowds opinion of the choices...

I'm trying to decide between a fender deluxe active v jazz bass and an Ibanez SR1205.

Your thoughts? Better alternative?

XA

Spelunker of the depths of tone....

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    These two choices are very different, both visually & tone wise.

What kind of music do you play? What are you looking for (requirements) in a bass?

Other than that, I offer up the TB motto: play both, and see which one "speaks" to you more... THAT'S the one you choose! :)

3. Xajuran

Xajuran

May 13, 2012
    I play a very wide variety of styles, so both will work, with the tonal versatility.

Honestly I have played them both extensively at a local shop and love them both.

Its almost a Marcus Miller vs Victor Wooten thing, with the differences between them.

my taste notwithstanding, which would YOU prefer?

4. Having owned both, at one point, I'd go with the Fender...IF you can find one that doesn't weigh as much as a horse. The B is much tighter and the tonal range is greater. I liked mine, but it was too much weight for a 5 hour gig.

5. Between the 2 choices, I'd take the Ibanez SR1205.

6. Xajuran

Xajuran

May 13, 2012
    Why?

7. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Can't comment on the Ibanez since I haven't any experience with one other than checking one out in a shop.
    I have played active Fender Jazz's for several years and they have always worked for me. Good variety of tones, reliable and good feel and playability,
    Good luck. I'm sure whichever you choose will work out for you.

8. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Neck size/feel and string spacing would be the deciding factor for me between those two with the Ibanez winning out.

9. Xajuran

Xajuran

May 13, 2012
    great point! Is the Ibanez spacing wider or closer? Is the neck thinner or is it just the shape you prefer?

10. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

I played an Ibanez SR five string for years and I really really liked the sound. I had played a Fender four string before that, and for a long time I could handle the narrowness of the SR neck and the closeness of the strings. Ultimately, though, these became a factor and I was less comfortable playing the instrument. I do not play it very much any more.

I think Ibanez basses are fantastic and SRs are fantastic, I just think the necks are a little narrow and you might want to think about that down the road if, like me, you are switching from an instrument with a wider neck.

11. Xajuran

Xajuran

May 13, 2012
    very interesting. I understand that folks have also taken issue with the string spacing on the jazz v, saying it was too close. Not sure what they compare it too.

12. The 1205's string spacing is akin to playing a guitar. That neck is like a toothpick, compared to your average 5'er. For me, the narrow-spacing on the Ibanez really hampers my playing when it comes to playing certain techniques/styles.

13. I think the string spacing, neck profile, and how it feels in your hands is the deciding factor here. Look up the specs on both basses - go to the store and put them side by side. See if the differences WILL bother YOU in the future. Have you played both basses standing up? Grab your strap and attach it to the basses in the store - which one balances better? Do either weigh too much for you? Make sure you are using a leather strap so it "sticks" to your shirt. A nylon strap or something slippery will make your life a nightmare on stage.

You also mentioned about your budget - buying the Fender Jazz 5 should be easy to find; you can always add an active pre-amp to it.

14. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Soundgear 5 string necks just feel great to me, better than any Fender I have played. More importantly I really prefer 16.5 or 17mm string spacing at the bridge, but thatÂ’s me.

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    The Ibby has a very narrow neck, which may be good in a 5 string for many people but I found the string spacing too narrow and hard to get used to. If the Fender is a MIM be sure to try before you buy, some are great some are garbage. I think both the Squier line and the MIA line have better quality control and more consistency from bass to bass. If you go MIA you'll probably have to look for a used one to get it in the same price range as the Ibby. Of course you could get 3 Squiers for the price of the Ibby or the Fender but that's not everyone's cup of tea. If it were me I'd be looking for a really nice used Spector Euro or Rebop in that price range.

16. Xajuran

Xajuran

May 13, 2012
    I see. I have larger fingers and it seems the logical choice would be the jazz. I will, however, be spending another day with them before making the final choice.

I like the strap idea, and will definitely use it. Thanks!

Honestly the Ibanez seems like a nicer instrument, but the jazz is better suited for my needs.

I'm not looking at specters atm, own a couple Warwick's and am happy with my coverage of that sound/feel.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post pics when I have secured the purchase!

Xa