1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two amazing Kai Eckhardt videos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm sure we all know my stance on Kai. I know he is an amazing musician, but for so long, he seemed to be an "almost man" to me. He was playing on records that "almost" seemed to get something going. I wasn't greatly impressed by his solo album or by his work on Billy Cobham's "Mississippi Knights Live" album.

Then I heard him on John McLaughlin's "Que Alegria". Things were better, he sounded great, though I perhaps could not appreciate him fully, knowing that just a few years before, McLaughlin was playing alongside Jonas Hellborg. However, I recently got McLaughlin's "Live at the Royal Festival Hall" record, and things really made sense! Kai made such an incredible statement on that record and this album has really helped me appreciate him more.

I was pleased to find these videos on Youtube.

This first one I had never seen before, but he is playing using the bass that he used on the "Festival Hall" record, as shown on the photo on the back of the record (I have the re-released version). Amazing tone, amazing playing. I am led to believe it is from the late 80's, and certainly predates Que Alegria.

I hope you all enjoy these videos!

2. Very nice, thanks for the vids mate, his bass-face is interesting :p... i enjoyed the vids.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, he does have quite an interesting bass face!

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks Chris:
    I`ve not heard or seen much about Eckhardt before and I really enjoyed those perfomances.
    At first sight, I thought it was a Status bass, mainly for its shape and sound, never heard about Schack basses.

The note definition and tone is unique in that kind of basses and IMHO their fretless tone is superb (GASing again for a Zon fretless)

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yes, he really does have amazing tone here. Now he's using Hotwire basses, it's a lot more "average" :meh: