1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Amps One 1/4"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Floridabwoy, May 25, 2012.

1. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I have an ampeg v4 and a genz benz shuttle 6.0. I love the tones from both. I have a radial ABY to switch between between the clean and the dirty amp.

My problem is the cab only has one input.

What are my options? Can i use a splitter on the 1/4" cab input or is that a bad idea?

2. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    You need two speaker cabs.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Currently, you run the risk of blowing stuff up, and your V4 needs to be connected to a cab whenever it's on, even if your're not playing it. It's a tube amp thing.

4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    The Radial Headbone does this, but you'd need another low-wattage tube amp. The GB would fry that setup.

5. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    K thanks!

...... Vt bass it is. It is a lot lighter than the V4 anyway.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yeah. Even if there were 2 parallel 1/4" jacks, I don't think you'd wanna be plugging both of them in.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    correct, 2 amps into 1 cab = disaster for both amps.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Pleaese don't try this. Your tube amp comes with one set of problems (unloaded output) and the Shuttle uses a full bridge output stage which must never be connected to any possibility of seeing a common ground which MAY be presented by the switcher through the sleeve termination back through the other amp. The sleeve concuctor carries the inverted power amp signal. MOST of the class D amps operate this way.

(This is informational to others that may wish to try this as well)

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good, nice info here, on top of all the other problems this sort of thing may cause. The switch being inbetween settings already makes problems with the tube amp seeing no load, the SS amp going from output into load, then nothing, then current inrush amplifying into load again, now this, in addition to the fact that I think the OP is talking about a instrument or line level switcher being used to switch stuff at speaker level, which in itself is a recipe for disaster. Loads, no load, in between loads, common grounds, amps possibly firehosing each other, etc., it's just a really bad idea, and if the stars align just right, could even pose the risk of putting your body, and heart, in between all this.....also a really bad idea.

Thanks for the warning Agedhorse.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    With the Shuttle, there's no problem with going from open (no load) to load and back to open or anything like that, it's specifically the common ground (where the sleeve is ultimately connected to ground somewhere that's not intended) that's the problem and it affects most class D amps.

Full bridge class D must use a special type of switched that switches both poles simultaneously as well as a break before make switching topology. Some professional class amp switchers can do this but they are not the kind that you can just buy in a music store.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Understood, likely not the level of voodoo I made it sound like, but conveying the thought "don't do that". The "off/current inrush" isn't a technical problem perse, but I thought it made it sound more forboding and deathly.:)

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I like forboding and deathly, especially in a metal amp ;)

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It werks there.....:D