1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two amps one rig - which cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 6810, Aug 31, 2008.

1. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Currently running a GB Shuttle 6.0 w/ 8ohm 410. Room to expand on that later (maybe a 115).

Meanwhile, local music store has an old superbass lying around at a nice price. Buying it, is really an inevitability since I have been after an all tube amp (or "shinkuukan" as they say here) for a while.

I lead w/bass in a stoner rock setup and want to add that overdriven tube crunch to my tone. I don't need the Superbass for bass, since the 6.0 has got that covered. I want the superbass just for added volume and distortion (and to use on it's own in more intimate settings).

So what kind of cab would suit this setup best? I'll be splitting my signal into two amps. Any advice?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tweeterless 410, maybe.

3. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Yeah,

I originally thought maybe a 210, but probably not enough speaker-age...

410 seems like the logical choice to me too...

anyone else want to chip in?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Where is here?

It'll help pinpoint recommendations.

5. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    here = japan

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Cool!

I think a Bagend D12 under that tube head would be killer. You might also want to go with a sealed guitar 2x12 or 4x12 loaded with something beefy... like EVM-12L.

7. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    bag ends sound cool...

bit out of my price range but - cheapest (D10BD) starts at $820...

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    James, the Road 220 is SS.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Huh? I thought we were talking a Marshall Superbass tube head?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh shoot! I'm getting threads mixed up! Sorry about that. Senior moment.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

The sealed guitar cab/beefy speakers is a great idea provided you'll always use it with the signal split and they won't be seeing any lowend, ever. Could use it with the bass 410 only on smaller gigs provided it has an 8ohm setting. A 212 guitar cab can be quite loud and should be plenty to play with a 410 bass bottom. I don't see a need for a 412 on the top.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Are you seeking one single cab to connect both amps?

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

So what's the literal translation? "Shin" usually means "new," though that term could mean "new" a century ago.

You might also add your location to your profile.

EDIT: I found it. The three kanji that make up the word (真空管) mean "Pure/genuine/true" "vacuum" "tube."

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    well my EVM-12L loaded Kustom 4x12 lasted years with NO ISSUES running full range bass into it for years. MANY MANY MANY MANY bassists since the 60s have gigged and recorded through 'guitar' cabs.

Sure trying to EQ them to sound like a PA sub it's fail quickly... but used with a realistic EQ setting they do work well.

15. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    I'll split the signal. The GB6.0 does all the bass work with a 410 I already have.

The aim of the superbass is to basically add colour, distortion and volume - only one guitarist and we like it that way. I'll use a separate cab...

16. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    This idea (a Guitar 212) I like a lot. Another 410 would be a lot more to transport - a 212 though... as long as it can handle 100W.:p