Two amps rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oZZma, Sep 13, 2018.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Hello everybody, this is my first message here although I've read the forum for a long time (lots of useful infos and thing to learn especially for a newbie like me).
    I'm planning my first two amps rig, the idea is to send the dry signal to my Ampeg SVT 3 pro, and heavily distorted/effected to a guitar amp. My budget is 900€ maximum (I prefer buying used amps)
    I've made a search and Peavey 6505 head + ORANGE PPC212OB cabinet would be in budget.
    I'd like to achieve harsh, metallic and heavy sound of bands like, for example Today is The Day
    Is this set up suitable for the sounds I like, in your opinion? I don't know guitar amps very well so any suggestion is welcome!!
    Moreover, any suggestion concerning various problems I've read about two-amps rigs (noises, hum, etc...) and how to avoid them would be very welcome, I'm a newbie and I don't know much about it yet. Thank you!!

2. You are on your own as nobody can predict what sonic success anyone else's wall of cabswill have. One man's raging thunderous doom sounds like a hog on heat to the next guy.

3. And welcome to TB. :)

If you search the fx forums under my username you will find a thread or three where I yap about a whole different way of getting heavy distortion while maintaining low end. No reason you couldn't do sane with tube fx.

oZZma likes this.
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    What do you plan on achieving with this rig? Do you want to emulate a guitar or do you just want to spend money on a second rig so your overdriven sound sounds meaner?

oZZma likes this.
  5. Have you looked at maybe just running a kemper?

6. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I forgot to mention that I play in a duo, we're bass and drums only, so I want emulate a guitar! And thicken the general sound of the band also

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Do you have something to split the signal and octave?
    A lot depends on what kind of signal you're feeding the amp(s).
    So If you go down the POG route and send the dry signal to your bass rig and the wet signal an octave higher to the guitar rig, you'll not hit the guitar rig with a guitar signal, but a modified (+1 oct) bass signal, which may be a different thing. I fear you're in for a lot of trying.

oZZma likes this.
  8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sigworthy.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think you're on the right track, but nobody can really pick out the perfect guitar amp for you. The good news is you don't nearly as much wattage to amplify guitar sounds at the same level as bass. The bad news is that the lower notes can easily blow out many guitar cabs. But there's still good news...don't run as much bass in the guitar amp as the bass amp and you'll be good.

oZZma likes this.
  10. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    As for splitting the signal, I read good things about the Radial Bones Twin-City ABY switcher, I would buy that, but any other suggestion would be appreciated if there are better choices!
    I already use some pitchshifting/octave pedals (I own a Bass Whammy, Whammy Ricochet and EHX Pitchfork)
    I'm aware that it will not be guitar-like, especially with digital pedals like these ones, but as long as it stays harsh, aggressive and metallic I'm ok with that, even if it is sounds synthetic. I play in a noise band so weird sounding instruments don't scare me :D

How much wattage would you suggest for guitar, knowing that my bass amp is 450w?
    My idea was to put an EQ right after the ABY splitter and filter the lower frequencies, and then pitchshifters, distortion, delay, etc. Do you think it could work or will I blow everything anyway? :D
    I really like when I play my bass (which is aluminum-necked) through the Cat King with MAXIMUM clipping on high frequencies, it exacerbates a lot the metallic character of its sound but it makes it a lot more guitar-like than bass-like, so if I send this signal to a guitar amp I can keep its natural "bassy" sound (which I would keep as it i, without any effect) for the bass amp!
    A lot of trying will be needed for sure, but at least I hope I pick a decent, suitable amp (not necessarily "perfect" :) ), with some help :bookworm:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  11. 50w of guitar should be plenty.

Are you aware of the pitfalls of being a bigger gig Primadonna with two sound channels needed at FOH?

oZZma likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If you are planning on being balls loud, I'd say 50w with a decent size cab like a 212 should be good.
    Bass players have been doing it successfully for decades, although I would run any octave down effects into my bass amp only.

It's a lot easier than you think it will be. The hardest part is handing over the money :D

basscapes and oZZma like this.
  13. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    that's good news, I'll check less powerful amps too, then! Thank you! :)

Unfortunately I don't have many other options, we have been looking for a guitar/saxophone/synth player to play with us for a year without any success... We also tried with a Boss RC500 to add some drones but we didn't like much the result (maybe I could try harder but I must admit I could never find a good feeling with synthetizers and thus I was not able to produce anything compelling with that setup)
    We must find a way to make this duo work as a duo, at least for now... Our sound is too "basic" and too thin :(

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    In a bass-drums duo? Oh no, hope they have the channels!

Don't be a buzzkill.

15. Missed that detail!

JimmyM likes this.
  16. decay

decay

Jan 9, 2011
    BP, HU
    Maybe this can be also an alternative:

oZZma likes this.
  17. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    ok now I have a fixation for the EHX Mig50 and want to try it very badly but seems like you can't find it anywhere in Europe. Me sad

wolverine.jpg

18. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I got my ABY switcher and tried it with a guitar amp I borrowed from my drummer (a new guitar head is on its way), it is a great improvement in sound when I play with both amps but it feels odd when I switch to single amp configuration. I don't know if it's just a volume problem but the "dry signal" amp alone sounds soooo wimpy now, or at least I have this impression :/
    I tried switching the phase but I can't hear any difference...

19. The more you split the signal with EQ bias the less the phase invert switch can do anything. That's a good thing when sending a full range bass signal to a guitar system.

oZZma likes this.
  20. Porkchop2

Porkchop2

Aug 20, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I’ve done this but with an older Peavey mark 8 head and a Mesa combo. The old Peavey mark series heads had built in crossovers so you can run dry into the Peavey mark head, jump the low pas back into the power/amp and then run the hicgpass signal into your pedal chain, then into the guitar amp. The builtin crossovers also had a sweepable frequency range and balance so you could really dial in a good mix. The old mark series heads can be had for pretty cheap and they are virtually indestructible

image.jpg

Caca de Kick and oZZma like this.