1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two and a Half Music Men

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Ryantist, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Last year I went on a search for a passive 5 string PJ style bass. I already have a Bongo 5 HH and a Sterling 5 HS, and the EBMM 5 string neck and 17.5 mm string spacing is the most comfortable for me. I find Fender necks and 19mm spacing too wide. If there was a 5 String Caprice bass I no doubt would have bought one, but they don't exist. I don't know why, but for some reason passive, PJ 5 string basses are not very common.

One day I saw an SR5 neck listed on the bay. I knew these were rare so I grabbed it - and decided to build a bass around it. I bought a Hipshot bridge with 17.5 mm string spacing, and I got Nordstrand PJ5 passive pickups (customized to a narrower polepiece spacing to match).

Thanks to the Luthier's Corner forum, youtube, and lots of patience and planning, I was able to make my own body (alder) and pickguard from scratch. I did outsource the painting but did everything else myself.

You can see my build thread here. But it's finished and ready for a debut tomorrow night! Plays like a dream of course, and sounds great too. So now with my Bongo and Sterling I have a stable of 3 very different sounding (and looking) basses but with similar feeling necks! Woohoo!

20180914_07559.jpg

Joelc73, brocco, Crusher47 and 15 others like this.
  2. The P looks amazing! Nice job!drool:thumbsup:

The Ryantist likes this.
  3. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Very well played good sir! It may be your best looking bass.

The Ryantist likes this.
  4. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Wow, nice job on that PJ!

The Ryantist likes this.
  5. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Wow. You built the world's only Caprice 5!

The Ryantist likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021