1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two Avatar 210 Neo's ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Aug 23, 2007.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Does anyone use "two" Avatar 210 neo's and no other cabs? If so, how is the low end? Do you stack both cabs vertically? Do they have good projection? Do you feel that two-210 cabs can do everything a 410 can? Thanks to all.

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Let me expand on my question. Does anyone use two - 210 cabs (no matter what manufacturer) to gig with? Same questions as above.

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Most guys who stack vertically, will swear by it. Bill F. has said it's like a line array, and projects better. Maybe he will chime in. I would think that it would be even a little better than a 410, with the line array thing going for it. Good Luck.

4. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    supposedly 2 210s will have less low end than 1 410. i say supposedly because i havent had the opportunity to a/b this, but there are many people that say this.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The opposite is usually the case. More often than not a 2x10 will have more cabinet volume per driver than a 4x10 from the same manufacturer, and more cabinet volume per driver equals more low end. Of course this will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
    In terms of frequency response, dispersion and pattern control drivers should always be vertically aligned, so from that standpoint a pair of 2x10s will always work better than a 4x10, unless that 4x10 is built the way it should be, with the drivers vertically aligned.

6. After using many different cabinet configurations over the years, I have finally settled on vertically stacked 2x10's. It's great for clubs where you stand very close to your rig (closer to your ears). The low end is at least as good as the 4x10's I used and probably better. I'd say go for it!

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Maconbass, What brand of 210's are you using?

8. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Bump for more input from any other dual 2x10 users.

I've been trying to decide on a second cab to match with my Avatar B210 Neo and right now I'm leaning toward just getting another. I love the sound of this cab, and am intrigued with the vertical alignment option.

9. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    bumpskie

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I use two Acme 2x10"s. A pair of Avatar 2x10"s will be just as good as an Avatar 4x10", if not better due to the greater internal volume and improved dispersion and more useful on-axis response when stacked vertically.

Alex

11. I also use two Acme Low B2s and I usually stack them vertically. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results from two Avatar B 210 Neo cabs, no matter how you stack them.

The advantages of vertical stacking are better and more even horizontal dispersion, having a cab up closer to your ears rather than down at your knees and a smaller footprint on the stage. The horizontal dispersion issue becomes more pronounced as wavelengths get shorter (frequecies get higher) and some would say that the wavelengths for most bass frequencies are so long that having a couple of cabs side by side would not result in much phase cancellation or comb filtering effect, relative to other acoustical factors in a room, but as I mentioned, there are other advantages to vertical stacking. Plus, I can easily fit two 2 X 10" cabs in my trunk and a big 4 x 10" might have to go in the back seat and is certainly going to be a bit more cumbersome to carry.

12. i have the peveay neo 2x10, and i also jave the peveay neo 4x10. i have to say that the 2x10 really cranks, i use it for practice and small gigs, and it does great, low end is very strong, suprised the hell outta me for a 2x10. i was thinking about another one, giving me 8x10,s all together, so i could bring what i needed depending on gigs. the 2x10s can hold their own, but i dont know if two (2x10)s are better than the peveay neo 4x10, ive never tried it out.

13. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks alexclaber and fezzey. I truly appreciate the input. I've got a gig coming up in a few weeks so I guess I need to make up my mind.