two bands.. only room for one.......

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by metalguy2, May 1, 2005.

1. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Yes. For the longest time I though it was possible to juggle more than one band. Up until recently I double booked a gig with the bands that I am in. Now 8 people are frustrated at me. And I have to come to terms with reality. It isn't easy leaving any band. If you form a brotherhood with these people it is like scooping your guts out with a plastic fork.
    So this is what happened. The first band I was in will be called 1. and the new one will be called 2.

About a year ago I left a band (which will be called 0) that wasn't doing anything really. Only to join band 1. So the year goes by and I do my various sideprojects and dropping them as they run out of steam. Band 2 comes along and says. Hey we need a bassplayer. Thinking "Yeah, I love these guys. They are my friends already and I love thier music. SURE WHY NOT" Well I started playing shows RIGHT AWAY! So I start getting real excited about these shows and basically said yes to any show that came along. And the double booking happened. Now this is particularly hard to weigh out, what show I should do considering band 1 doesn't get alot of shows (could be a reason to leave band 1 for band 2) and band 2 is headlining this particular show. Now I already know I am probably going to leave for band 2. But really it is killing me inside. Last night I went out drinking to forget about the situation only to wake up with it on my mind as soon as I opened my eyes. Not really looking for advice. Just want to hear other similar stories and kinda need to hear from people that can relate to the same problems.

Band 2 is almost done recording thier full length album, and is probably gonna go on a tour after sometime in august.
  2. I would have to say, judging by your situation, that you should probably stick it out with band 2. Simply because the way you described band 1, made it seem as though they are basically turning into another band 0. Band 2 seems to know where they want to go and have their goals set for them. If i was you, I would probably stay with band 2. No matter how hard it will be to leave band 1. In the end it just may be well worth it. Hope this helped.
  3. Take band 2, and get organized enough so that you never double book. That will piss off anyone, and you could find yourself out of bands 1 and 2.
  4. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Agree. The way you described it, band 2 seems like the more promising venture.
  5. I would say stick with band 2, assuming you share their goals (completing an album, going on tour, etc). It sounds like band 1 might be better off if you leave them and let them find a new bass player.
  6. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Similar dealy going on with me.

Band A is my main band, but we've been without a singer for years, and aren't really interested in doing the instrumental thing. We've auditioned over 40 singers, no one is even close to what we have in mind.

Band A shares a rehearsal hall with Band B, whose bassist recently relocated to Las Vegas. Band B called me up and asked me to fill in for an upcoming show that they've already signed a contract for, and being bored as **** with Band A due to the lack of playing out, I agreed instantly. They also extended an open invitation to be a permanent member.

Problem is that in Band A, I am the main creative force, whereas in Band B, I'm basically a hired gun. The singer in Band B writes pretty much everything. Also, Band B consists of a two guitarist/vocalists, a keyboardist, a bassist, and a drummer, so in comparison to Band A, which is a bass/guitar/drums trio, I have much less space with which to work. Also, Band B seems kind of derivative of a few notable bands that I'm not really interested in, while Band A seems more innovative/progressive, but deadlocked for the lack of a vocalist.

7. How important is money? Playing out? Letting your creative voice heard?

If money is in issue, go with band B

If you want to play out more, Band B

If you want to be the songwriter, band A

As long as band B doesn't suck and is fun to play with, I'd go with them, unless you feel some personality issues.

Thankfully this choice is somewhat straight forward for you. I think the only real thing that's keeping you with band A is that you were there first and that you like letting your creative juices flow freely.

Go from there, bud and good luck.
  8. why do people never use pronouns at this board? they always give code for the names of venues, bands, and people...
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've been juggling 2(+) bands for a few years now... not always the same two bands, but usually 2 bands concurrently, (after reading that a few times, I guess it makes sense :) )... Da Lady In Red makes a good point in asking what is important to you... Neither of my bands is going to be a big money maker, but I play for my own enjoyment, and gig money is usually play money anyway... Right now I am in the enviable position of not having to choose one over the other...

jimbass55 also makes a great point with the organization factor... Always have a calendar in each band room for members to mark off unavailable dates... As soon as you know of a commitment for yourself, whether band related or personal, mark it on the calendar! It's your responsibility to let folks know when you're unavailable... Lots of folks use a palm pilot or outlook to maintain their schedule, but a cheapy $2 pocket calendar works fine.

For my own self, I like being in two bands, and I like them to be a bit diverse... Currently, it's an 11 piece Blues/Funk/Rock Show band and a 4 piece roots/rock/blues band... Each is valuable in that they each give me different things, and so far I've been able to juggle them successfully...

Good luck with your situation!

10. justa thought... can't you do both gigs?

if Band 2 are headlining, you could request an earlier set with Band 1? Or as soon as you've headlined get the hell out to the next show! Would be fun as far as I'm concerned :)

As far as choosing, I'd go with Band 2. Definatly talk with both bands, and see if you could still keep up the two of them, but promis better organisation...?
  11. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Microbass has a point. It sounds like both bands are on the same bill. Couldn't you play two sets, one with each band? That way, you don't have to back out of either committment. Then you can make your mind about which band to stick with.