Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Bass Players

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by CrazySean, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Mike Watt,

Why do think there are hardly any bands with two bass players? I know it would probably be unnecessary, but there are bands with 2 guitar players (sometimes 3 -- never seen 4), and there are even bands with two drummers (Greatful Dead). I just thought I'd bring it up because it's interesting issue. And, personally, I feel that it could work
    and would be something different for a change.

Sean

P.S. Have you ever recorded a song with multiple bass tracks? (This is the first thread I ever started, BTW.)

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey Sean,

Check out a band called "Dos", Watt is one of the two bassists in that band. ;)

For more info check out Watt's Hoot Page..

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  4. I think Coltrane used two bassists on "Ole Coltrane".

Broken Bones(NY hardcore-type band) had two bass players too, I think.

5. Thanks a lot Matt. Sorry that I didn't know about that. Now I can go tell my friend who's been wondering if there actually was a band with two bass players. (I only heard of one in some dude's review on www.bgra.net; he said he played the low end, while some other guy supplied the top end.)

6. Also, there was band in BP mag that consisted of 3 bassists and nothing else. Pretty bizarre. I don't remember their name though.

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Miles has some recordings with two bassists. One actually is listed as 'lead bass' by Foley but it sounds somewhat like guitar.

Someone on TB said that bass in a band is like the 'heartbeat' and I agree with this view. Two bassists is certainly possible and it has obviously been done (albeit not too frequently). IMO it's not common because it is hard to do well. I mean two heartbeats for one band?? I don't know...

There is Spinal Tap, but that's just poking fun at the concept.

8. Oh yeah, there's also a band from the Boston area called "Krank Squad". Two electric basses, one double bass, and a drummer. Very interesting stuff.

9. Yeah, what you said makes sense. Actually I think there might be two bassists on the Ballhog CD I have. I'll have to check. (Maybe the song with Flea?) I was going to mention Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom" with it's 3 bassists (and bass synthesizer:D), but yeah, that was just a joke. It's still pretty funny though (especially the lyrics: "My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo/ I'd like to sink her with my pink turpedo!).

10. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Hugo Largo!

BTW, saw Boston two nights ago, for much of the show it was 5 guitarists and bass (the guitarists played keys a lot too). And the Funk Brothers did all those songs with 3 guitarists. It takes some discipline to know what NOT to play, how to leave room, and coordination between the players. I suppose the same would be true with two bassists (that is, not just one guy playing higher notes and one lower, but charting your territory with respect to time as well).

I've jammed with two bass players (me being one) at a party or two, sounds awesome through the beer fog :smug:! everyone else probably heard it as mud ;).

11. LOL.:D

:bassist:

----------------------------------------------
    "Your eyes are like curtains: If you keep them shut, you'll never see the light of day."

--Me

12. bassguild

bassguild

Jun 27, 2003
    NYC
    hey-
    there was also a band called damage from nyc that had 2 bass players. also a nyc band crawlpappy used 2 basses occasionally.

j

13. Ahhhh Damage was the band I was thinking of. Thanks. Saw them open up for Prong a loooooong time ago in a galaxy far away.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There is a band gonna set a record on August 17th.
    It's called the TBNEGTG band, and since we're in a studio, you know we are gonna plug everybody in for at least one song. I'm gonna start a thread looking for ideas on which song?

Keylock? You in? You lurker you!

16. I believe Santana has used 2 bass players before.

17. 2 bassists CAN sound good. I saw an old double bass player playing some low bass line while a 6 string fretless guy played chords and various higher pitched stuff. Sounded great.

18. Hey! I've been trying to break out of the Lurker mentality, but it's tough. I really like to apply the old addage ,"keep your mouth shut and your eyes open", to most situations.:D

Unfortunately no, I won't be attending the get together as I'll be in Key West for a much needed R and R. My girlfriend won two free nights at some hotel chain she works for and we're going to take advantage of it that weekend. Though I'd like to suggest "The Red and the Black" by BOC as a song you could do (in honor of Mr. Watt and just because it's a badass song). I'd love to hear a bunch of basses jamming on that main riff. Enjoy the get together, I'll be there in spirit!

19. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

ned's atomic dustbin = two bassists

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side has double bass and electric fretless bass.