Two Bass Players

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by CrazySean, Aug 4, 2003.

1. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Cop Shoot Cop- Semi -industrial band from NYC who
    I haven't heard from in 5-6 years

2. John Steven's "Away" was a jazz group in the 70s. They recorded with upright and electric. A bit odd.

Here's a question. Can anyone come up with the origin of the phrase "Ned's Atomic Dustbin"?

Well?

3. another great band that had 2 basses was the scottish band, ganger. tey unfortunately broke up a few years ago but had a great cd on merge records called 'hammock style'. check it out.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    ConFunkShun used two bassists.

5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    There are a few tracks on Ballhog if I recall correctly, Flea playing Lead bass one one.

Bands with 2 bassists that come to my mind:
    One of my total favs for sure:
    "Girls Against Boys"... A keyboardist who often picks up a bass for some tracks, amazing band, can't say enough about them, go see them live, they'll blow you away
    "Ned's Atomic Dustbin" did it from time to time too if I am not mistaken
    "Cop Shoot Cop" employed it in the early days at least.
    "Dos" of course.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Exactly!!! I was just trying to think of that band's name.

:bassist:

7. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    Dos: Live

There's a Dos show there as well as some other Watt-related live and rarity stuff.

Great site!!

8. lord only has 2 bass players, well not really but dosent john count for 2 i mean cmon hews got frikkin 14 strings at once on that doublenck of his

9. watt

watt the man in the van w/a bass in his hand Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    hi,

there's some live coltrane ("live in seattle" maybe?) that has two bass players along w/everyone else, right?

by the way, happy birtday to john coltrane (it was september 23, 1926). much respect to the man! here's a quote:

"there is never any end," coltrane told music writer nat hentoff... "there are always new sounds to imagine, new feelings to get at. and always, there is the need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we've discovered in its pure state. so that we can see more and more clearly what we are. in that way, we can give to those who listen to the essence, the best of what we are."

on bass, watt

10. well i thought i should contribute with some swedish bands with 2 bassplayers.
    switchblade= hc with 2 basses and 1 git.+drums
    borås energi= drums+2 basses
    teddybears , have used it on some songs
    soviac , have done it live instead of the git. parts
    supergods= groovy jazzband with double+electricbass

11. The Beach boys "Pet Sounds" was recorded with Carol Kaye on electris bass and Lyle Ritz on Upright. Some of the takes even have a Dano 6 string, making those lines three part!

;) Treena

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have worked with another bass player on and off since the vey early 80's.Ornette Coleman has used two bass plaers in his acoustic groups as well as his electric band prime time.he is currently on tour with his acoustic quartet with two Basses one arco and the other pizzicato.The drummer Ronald Shannon Jackson with his band the decoding society use two bass players(on most of the RSJ DS Recordings)

13. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    ...was Rothko. They did some really nice interesting and atmospheric stuff - fans of post-rock/ambient instrumental stuff like Labradford should check it out. They no longer operate as a 3-bass band, but the main guy has done a fair bit of good stuff since.

[um, and hi everyone, I'm a random lurker]

14. Hey there,
    Just wanted to throw in my knowledge of cool bands. Milkmine, Dianogah and Enemymine each consist of two bass players and a drummer. Dianogah is more melodic and the other two are more noise, rock oriented.
    The best band without guitar is the Ruins. Bass and drums and nonsensical lyrics. Very technical and difficult stuff. Intense, explosive and just plain amazing. Anyone interested in exploring the possibilities of bass needs to hear this band. Seriously. If you haven't listend to the Ruins and you play bass, please go get any one of their albums right now and witness the intensity and craziness. Unbelievable. Also Lightning Bolt and Godheadsilo are two great noise oriented bands that consist of a single bass player and drummer. Ruins are the best!!!

15. i went to see ruins a week ago but the bassplayer was sick but it didnt mather so much as he had recorded his basslines and the drummer played along to it. ultra tight!

16. That's easy, it's from a Goons show of that same name. About an atomic dustbin that someone had invented - I forget who - but anyway, the blueprints had ended up in a Goon's hands.... was it Bluebottle and Eccles, or Moriarty (sp?) ?

:bassist:

17. Also, if you are so inclined to find a couple more bands/records with 2 bass players:

UI (pronounced "ooo-eee") - two bass and drums from NYC. They were around in the early 80's. I think they did a couple of 12" singles. Kinda dance-y and ahead of its time.

Man Is The Bastard (a.k.a. Charred Remains) - this crazy crusty California band had two bass players. Interesting low-fi progressive political punk/hardcore with two bizarre vocalists.

Ronald Shannon Jackson - I can't recall which record, but I know he used both a fretted and a fretless bass player on his stuff. Intense improv jazz.

I'm sure there's more...I will post more if I can find/remember.

18. We have a winner..

19. "i went to see ruins a week ago but the bassplayer was sick but it didnt mather so much as he had recorded his basslines and the drummer played along to it. ultra tight!"

They are one helluva band. Unfortunately, that don't come to America's midwest too often. Got to see them on a bill with Ultra Bide. Amazing.