Two Bass Players

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by CrazySean, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I heard a record of Dianogah's once, and in fact I remember thinking they sounded watt-influenced. Then when I was told they had two bassists (I guess I wasn't listening real closely) they became like my favorite band. But I've not gone so far as to purchase an actual album or something so I can't be sure. I definitely vouch that they are way cool though.

2. Years ago I was in a band with Roger Capps (Pat Benetar). He played a Hamer 8 string bass and I played a regular 4 de tuned. He played more melodic parts on the 8 string and I thumped out the low end. It was pretty different and interesting stuff.
    Roger Capps is a very underated bassist and never gets mention anywhere yet he contributed the low end on the first 6 Benetar LP's, He was a pleasure to play with.
    Peace

Xansky likes this.
  3. pineweasel

pineweasel

Nov 21, 2003
    Actually Ui have been around since the mid 90s and have released 3 or 4 albums.

I reckon you're thinking of Liquid Liquid (who actually only had one bass player!)

4. Marcus Millers version of Come Together features 2 basses. Him on lead bass and another holding down a groove.

5. Here in Australia there is a band called Preshrunk. They have two basses and drums.

Their website is www.preshrunk.com. There's a few song samples in the 'music' section.

Also I have heard The Cure used two basses sometimes, but I'm not sure which songs (A Forest???).

6. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Magma had two bassists on the "Attahk" album (recorded 1977), namely Wurd GORGO on "earth bass" (bass Terre) and Klotsz ZASPIAAHK on "air bass" (bass Air). But actually I remember reading somewhere that one bassist recorded both parts for the album, though for the tour they did use two. The playing sounds great, some of it fretless, a lot of it with distortion... If you can handle Ruins, you should definitely check out MAGMA

7. Toupé

Toupé

Jan 10, 2004
    Southampton, UK
    MY band at the moment has two bass players and a drummer. We're called Toupé and it's the best fun I've ever had in a band situation. I think everybody should do it.

some samples:

www.hackpenrecords.com/track7.asp
    www.hackpenrecords.com/track8.asp

I play a six and the other guy Karl, plays four. We love it. Bass is the way. :)

8. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well i don't know if you guys remember but there some buzz around here on TB for a band from NY called Burn Guitars. i got the demo, it was alright kind of punk-esque stuff. they had 3 bassists and a drummer

yeah, if you check out his solo album, M2, there's a bunch of tracks where he holds down the groove on one bass and plays the melodies/solos with another bass.

one more thing :p
    i saw the victor wooten band about a month ago (awesome show!) and since it was here in philly, gerald veasley came on stage for a couple tunes. and there were times when victor, gerald and vic's tech flex wellington were all playing together. it sounded awesome! flex was laying down the groove, vic playing a melody and gerald chiming in with some rhythmic stuff. then they would go round the circle and solo. HOT!

-jimbo

(wow, long post, my apologies are a thousand fold :) )

9. i am going to play with a band named BRAINVILLE
    next wednesday here in gothenburg.
    i´m replacing one of the bassplayers who couldn´t be there.
    2 bassplayers with way too much effects
    1 tenor saxophone
    1 upright with strings
    it might be cool

info:http://listen.to/brax-tone

10. fred e.

fred e.

Feb 23, 2004
    A great band had 2 sometimes 3 bassists. They were called Carnage Asada with Dave Travis, George Murillo, Dave Jones, Dave Green and a few others. Sadly, they are no more but now George Murillo plays with Dave Jones on bass in the new Axis of Evil. I don't think they do the multiple bassist thing anymore but they still are nuts!

----------
    Freddy's Four Fingers
    http://www.freddysfourfingers.tk

11. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    I've never seen two bassists in a band...but then again, I'm kinda in the dark about all the bands... :confused: But that's okay with me! :D I'm so crazy...I don't even care!! :bassist:

12. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    MOLOTOV---- 2 basses

13. watt

watt the man in the van w/a bass in his hand Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    sean,

why no two bass bands? hmm... there's been some like cop shoot cop, ned's atomic dustbin - lots of jazz stuff, john coltrane has two bass players on "live in seattle" (check the tune "afro-blue") and "om," for example. of course, there's my oldest current band, dos (eighteen years going now) but that's just two basses by themselves (singing sometimes though)! maybe it's cuz some folks think it'll make the sound too muddy, I don't know. if you do use two basses, I think composition is very important so as to make the basses work together. the frequencies where the bass live are kind of narrow and put that w/the kick drum, there's not a lot of room but "a poor carpenter blames his tools," right? if you feel the hankering for a band w/two basses, let your freak flag fly!

to answer your other question: yes, I have recorded bass on multiple tracks! it's a trip but again, you gotta write the parts right so they mesh good.

want to know more about dos? go here:

http://hootpage.com/hoot_dos.html

on bass, watt

14. TheMessenger

TheMessenger

Apr 9, 2004
    I am in a Two-Bass band from Arizona called The Letterpress.
    We have been playing together for about 2 years.

There are some MP3's available on our website:

www.theletterpress.com

Thanks,
    Jeremy

p.s. it's nice to see so much support out there for the bass

15. watt

watt the man in the van w/a bass in his hand Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2001
    san pedro, california
    jeremy,

sounds good but I think I hear drums in there too - you're not JUST two basses like me and kira's band dos. no disrespect to you though, good luck w/the sounds!

on bass, watt

16. another amazing with two basses is (was) Enemymine. Mike Kunka from godheadSilo(the loudest band on earth) plays an 8 string Kramer and they RIP. its an indie rocker take on metal. necessary listening. 2 basses and drums.

http://www.uprecords.com/artists/enemymine/

17. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Neds Atomic Dustbin is awesome. Just listened to them after they were mentioned above.

I'll tell you who is profiting from people being able to download songs off the internet, its the bands who only have 2 songs on there and force you to buy their CDs!

Note: That's just my imitation of some bad dude. Bad in a bad way.

18. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Absolutely. At the age of 14 when bouncing around too some indy mosh, after several pints of cider and black was the basis for any good Friday night- they ruled supreme. Basic stuff but still a fine example of when a pick is necessary- Just shame more guitarists can come up with such interesting parts as the higher chordal stuff.
    Check out -Capsize (... just an average random b-side ... but..wait for the guitar lead and listen to where the basses take the song on the key change for all of 10 seconds.... indy,poppunk,melancholic,melodic heaven).
    Throwing things, Kill your television, until you find out,Intact,2 and 2 made five, were pretty much first songs I learnt to play. I like to pretend that I've grown out of it, but [whispers]... :bag: it's still close to the heart.

19. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Wow I can't believe with all the bands described that one major one was left out, or perhaps I'm showing my age. :)
    What about the Godfather of Soul?
    Yes James Brown always has 2 bass players with him.
    How can you go wrong with 2 bass players anyway?
    Dirk

20. scientist_rock

scientist_rock

Mar 15, 2004
    UK
    Another song that you should check out is 'swordfishtrombones' from the album of the same name by Tom waits. I think it's an upright and an electric.

Awesome song all the same.