Two basses connect

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Aug 8, 2002.

1. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Sorry I don't know what they're called I would've said Double bass but thats not what it is... or is it? JT is the only one I've seen with it but whats the purpose of having two basses connected together?
  2. Funny question...
    They are called double neck basses, and their purpouse is is to have to different setups in one single body, for not having to change your bass in the middle of a song.. u know..

Some options for double necks couln be:
    freted + fretless, single strings + double strings (eg: 4strings + 8 strings), or maybe to identical necks with different tunnings in each neck... etc..
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    This info may be old as the last album I listened to was Exit Stage Left but Rush would use double necks, the guitarist would use a 6/12 and Geddy Lee a 4/6 or 4/12 giving him access to guitar whilst playing bass on foot pedals. You would have thought they could afford a rhythm guitarist.

Jonas Hellborg had a Wal fretted fretless double neck.

Mike Rutherford of Genesis used a bass/guitar double neck.
  4. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Its so you have an even bigger 'guitar' than the guitarist. Then you can laugh at him and say,"I'm bigger than you!";)
  5. A wee bit of topic...
    Do you have to dampen the strings on the neck your not playing on for the moment and if so, how do you do that?
    If you dont have to, why don't the ring?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't have to, because they have indivual volume controls. You simply turn that "neck" down that you don't play.
    But you can use the ringing for cool drone-type effects too.
  7. Of course... the volume knob!
    Sorry for that dumb question...:D
  8. How many necks did the guitarists from Cheap Trick use? I think it was five. Does anyone know what all of his necks were for? I can't think of five different neck possibilities--unless some just had different tunings. That must have been one heavy guitar. Not to mention that the top neck was about chin height while the bottom neck dragged on the floor!
    That crazy son of a gun.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Mike Rutherford had some doublenecks made by Shergold. The cool thing about them was that they came apart into two seperate instruments. You could have several different 'halves' and mix and match them for different configurations.
    Look here:
  10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Pedulla makes a doubleneck version of the Mark Egan model- 4 string fretless and 8 string (fretted, I think).
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    something I just thought of:

say that double neck is 2 4 strings. Have one strung BEAD and the other GC..whatever, then you have an 8 string bass (not the ones with the octave higher) without the hugh neck! Lay down lines on the one, solo on the other. Even better yet, get a sampler for that rhythm bass and then you can loop that sample and play your solos.
  13. I think there's some crazy, ambidextrious 80's hardrock guitarist who plays a double neck guitar with the necks at the oposite side, like one lefthanded and one righthanded guitar merged together, instead of over and under each other.
    Since he's ambidextrious he can left/right hand tap the two necks at the same time!!!:eek:

Cool idea Casey!
  14. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Dudemeister, you're refering to Micheal Angelo of Nitro.

My bud has one of his instructional vids. THere's some sweet concert footage too. I watched it once and couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous it was. Check it out if u get a chance. It's something to see.

P.S. one of his guitars has 4 necks... it's a big X. Theres a swivel in the middle so he can swing it around. such 80s antics.
  15. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    The guy who built my bass has an extension of that idea; the Bunker Touch Guitar uses a six-string wide neck and a 4 or 5 string bass neck to allow two-handed playing styles.

If he didn't already have a deal with Zon, I'd say that THESE would be the perfect instrument for Michael Manring.
  16. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Sorry - best pic I could find:
  17. If that thing won't break your back, NOTHING will.
  18. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    6&8Ser - Bahahahaha!!! THAT'S HIM! oh man... i need to watch that video again... so good.
  19. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    ....hhhmmm...this reminds of something....can't quite think what....ahh got it ....Spinal Tap...

5 necks, you've got to laugh at that really or a 4 neck cross.

Must've been a lot of "recreation chemicals" taken before they thought of that one :D