1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two basses on the gig -one amp..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joenok, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I`ve been looking for a new setup amp/cab-wise.
    Problem is, I tend to bring multiple basses to gigs.
    I currently use a David Eden Metro, and it has two channels for me to EQ in and level out the volume difference between two basses, and ship it all via the built-in DI to the board.

For example, this weekend I`m using a Modulus FB 5 and an Ash Mike Lull m4v, instruments that have quite different tonal qualities.

I quickly "decided" to go with an Aguilar Tonehammer 500, because I really like the tone. However, the TH along with most amps, come with just one input. So, do I need two of them, or what?

I also have been checking out the TC Electronics 450, and got even more curious when I saw that it had eq memory settings, this should provide the same as my Eden gives me today, seperate EQ, and switch with the touch of a button.
    I never got to try the TC, so i don`t know much else about it really, other than that it is popular and well built.

so, two questions:
    -How do YOUR setup look with 2/+ instruments?
    -Do you have any tips to other setups and amps that lets me input and/or eq seperatly for 2 basses?

I`m thankful for your experiences and thoughts.

J

2. I use the gain and volume knobs....

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, as long as my overall volume is the same I'm happy. Most of the time I bring two different basses because they sound different.

As for inputs, I unplug one and plug in the next. It doesn't get any simpler than that and certainly doesn't need to be any more complicated. Just mute your signal.

4. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks for that, CL400Peavey.

Problem though, is that I like to "dial in" the tone I want. And that is quite different on a Alder/Graphite/Phenolic bass, than it is on a Ash/Ash/Maple bass.

If it was a matter of volume, i`d simply adjust the preamp output levels on the basses, and use a A-B switch...

5. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I`ll correct myself right away; I am not looking for the two instruments to sound the same, I want to eq them seperatly to get the tone I want them to produce.

6. BDDI deluxe. Three patches for each.

7. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I don`t know. No mids control?

I want to keep things simple. -Preferably two channels, or a "memory bank" kind of thing, like the TC. I`d like to stay clear of stomp-boxes and cables and stuff.
    I see a lot of people using multiple basses on stage on various type venues. Am I being too picky on my sound?

The more I think about it, my Eden pretty much has it all. It`s just GAS i guess.

What`s the TC like then? Pro`s and Con`s vs. the Aguilar? (Other than the one I st
    arted the tread on)

8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Radial Bassbone?

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Fender Bassman 100T or Super Bassman 300. Problem solved.

10. It's a fairly different scenerio, for me, but I think my solution may still apply.

I use an ABY box and an MXR 10-band eq to plug in my main bass and my Ergo EUB into my rig; the Ergo has a much lower output than my other basses, and also needs a little different, and the 10-band allows me to do both easily. Can't see any reason why you couldn't do that with 2 electric basses.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't necessarily want different basses to sound the same, but I sort of do. It does make it easier if you have a switcher with EQ on one channel, though, or at least a preamp you can kick on for the second bass.

12. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    I tend to stay mostly on the four-string, so I need one "main" eq for that at least.
    I play mostly with a 70/30 blend for the bridge PU for a mid-heavy nasal pokie sound.

For the Modulus 5, I like a fatter, smileyscooped, modern sound.
    There seem to be a lot of solutions in using a small mixer or "preamp", but Ì think I`d rather have a built-in fix for this when i change out the old Eden, since i pretty much always play two basses.

Any other heads with two channels or memory eq that I have`nt thought of?
    This probably will end up with two tonehammers -i`m stubborn..

13. How about a TH pedal to go with the TH head?

14. You could just quickly dial in your tone when you switch basses and then change it back when you need to? I don't see the need for the gadgetry here and I'm usually an advocate for unnecessary gadgetry.

15. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Ozzyismetal. -It might be that I´m picky.
    -But I won´t gamble on changing eq and gain on the fly with output straight to a big PA, while changing basses, while flipping my chord pages.
    Seems like going the wrong way, when I have a more comfortable and safe solution as of today.

blindrabbit, that might be an idea, if I decide to go with Aguilar.

Anyone know if the memory bank on the TC 450 changes the gain and other settings, or just the eq?

16. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Check out Epifani amps. I always have to have two basses. I like them plugged into one place. Problem solved!

17. DriesG

DriesG

Feb 27, 2009
    Gent (Belgium)
    I use the 3@1 by Lehle: 3 in, 2 out (amp + tuner or two amps). It has adjustable gain on inputs 2 and 3. Or any other line switcher could do the job. You could use an eq pedal in front of one or both of the inputs to dial in your tone. Also by Lehle is the Basswitch. This box does all this by itself.

18. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
  19. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Have you tried it already?
    My setup is a Tonehammer with a Vovox cable that has a silent plug.

When i switch from fretted to fretless, all i have to do is roll in a few highs
    and hit the -10dB pad since the fretted is active and the fretless passive.
    Both sound sweet this way - and completely different.

I also tried to adapt the difference in output volume by not turning up the active bass to 100%, this also worked a lot better than i suspected - that came in handy when we were writing new material and i was trying out different basslines with different basses and thus, swapping basses a lot.

20. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    odineye, that looks rather nice. I do have an amp i like, and it has two channels with seperate eq..
    But, wanting something new, and considering my options.