1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two basses should never play at the same time and basses can't play chords.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Sep 26, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Who told you that? They were most definitely lying, or they just don't know!

Check out Dos - Mike Watt & Kira Roessler playing a duo. Wicked cooL!

3. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I don't even think you read what I said...

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No, I understood completely that you disagree with the statement, I was just reiterating the fact that who ever made that initial statement (the title) is WAY off.

5. drpocket

drpocket Guest

A friend of mine brought his double to a gig I was doing and we did a duo. He played low end while I did a solo and vice versa. It was way cool!!! The crowd went nuts. It left the git players looking kind of wimpy. Ha-ha....

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    There's quiet a few bands doing such.

7. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    i think neds atomic dustbin had 2 full time bassists..

8. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    For the truly bored, check out Goodbye Mr Jimmy, and Pork Pie Hat on my myspace,....3 basses, who needs a gui**** noodling about?!?!!??!? :D

myspace.com/qnthegroove

9. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    One good story about this.

A youth group I was working with a couple months ago came back from a great high school conference and the worship band wanted to play. Everybody in the worship band wanted to play, this included multiples of many instruments for a rotation.
    So they had 12 people playing or singing on stage, this included the 2 bassists. One just did some root/fifth work, while the other took from his metal background and picked 16th notes through the songs. It was a crazy morning, but fun for them.

10. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I listened to the clip on your myspace. You have something there. (I admit, I'm thinking about similar approaches myself) Keep experimenting along these lines. You might try different octaves or more effects to differentiate the two lines.

11. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Afew years back I recall Spinal Tap coming out with everyone playing bass at once....... That one set multiple basses at the same time back for years. Horrible!.......Bud

12. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Thanks man. =]

Haha my apologies.

13. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I have done several different things with dual basses. If you know what you're doing, and don't walk all over the other player things will be great. It's no different from playing with any other instrument.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  15. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    The solo work in my sig is mostly multi-tracked bass with drums. I find this works best when not overloading the same frequencies between the different parts. Using different effects also helps to distinguish the parts for the listeners.

Also check out Bass Extremes with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. I think they've put out a couple of albums together.

16. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I think that really helped me.

17. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    It was played on an upright, and then doubled on a jazz. Supposedly the only reason it was done that way was that the session bassists got paid 2 or 3 times more money for doing overdubs than they did for laying the original track, so he told the studio that he wanted to overdub and punch the bassline up a little bit.

As far as bands with 2 bassists go, if anyone can find Dumpstaphunk's music anywhere, they've got a full time bassist and a guy who switches between guitar and bass.

18. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Bump

19. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Check out the SMV cd (Stanley, Marcus, Victor) and be amazed at what three bass guitars can do at the same time.:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: