1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two basses to choose from! Which would you take??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Sep 25, 2006.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I'm deciding whether I should get an ESP LTD C-305 (dicontinued) or a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 string.

the LTD is still up for bids and the Schecter is offered to me for $310 and comes with a hardshell case and Levi strap and some other accessories.

Which would be a bigger bang for the buck and which one's a better bass in general?

here's the ESP LTD C-305: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...70031471526&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

neck through body contruction, mahogany body, awesome looking EMG HZ pickups, hardshell case, fugly headstock

and here's the Schecter custom 5: http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=103

bolt-on, mahogany body, EMG HZ

thanks!!!

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Schecter Customs sound horrible. Worst sounding basses I've ever touched. That's my opinion though.. they spend too much time trying to make it light and comfortable, and they sacrifice wood quality so it sounds like and feels like a toy.

I don't know anything about the ESPs but the buzz around here is that they're average.

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    So his choices are "average" or "worst sounding".

4. Those C-305 are actually really good bass for the money

I played one long time ago and it had very nice feeling neck and superb construction

Since those are older ones and uses different hardware, you won't have problem with the bridge like the newer F series

5. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I have an LTD B-254, almost the same thing and are sweet if you like the EMG tone. Good player, good materials, good fit/finish/hardware etc, great deal, great value.

6. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The ESP do sound great , but i dont like their quality , i have no experience with the Custom 5 , but ive always liked schecters , great tone.
    Just try them out and pick the one you like the best ..
    Though i think The ESP is the best buy..

7. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    they're both online so I can't try them out before I buy :(

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You shouldn't buy something you haven't played..

You have no way of knowing if the neck is right for you or if the bass is what you want unless you played it. Go to Guitar Center if there's one near you, they have the Schecter Customs there. They won't have the ESP though..

9. i like the sounds of the ESP much more. although i probably wouldnt buy a bass at all without trying it first because, even factory production basses, none are exactly the same.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021