Two basses to restring...help me decide on the best match!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by got_the_bug, Oct 6, 2020.

1. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Gold Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    I have a Fender US Geddy Lee Jazz and a Spector NS-2J to restring, and what I have "in stock" for rounds right now is a set of DR Black Beauties and a set of DR Pure Blues strings.

Putting aside preferences such as not liking coated strings, I thought I'd poll (without a poll) the collective wisdom of TB. Do you think one string type might be a better match for one of the two basses? The Spector is a bolt-on neck, mahogany body with a spalted maple top and pau ferro fingerboard. The GL is alder/maple, obviously.

What sez the interwebs? "Get some Nickel Lo-Riders instead" or other similar suggestions are welcomed... :)

CallMeAl likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Two by two and in-line four right? I say don’t trim the strings temporarily, carefully, gingerly, since they’re both round core, and try each set on each bass and see which you prefer.

CallMeAl and got_the_bug like this.
  3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I don’t know about the black beauties, but I just put Pure Blues on my Peavey Jazz clone and they sound awesome. Maybe my favorite strings ever!

got_the_bug likes this.
  4. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Got to be Rotosounds on the Geddy.

Arthur U. Poon and got_the_bug like this.
  5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    My Preference having used them both before would be Black Beauties on the Geddy and the Blues on the other.

got_the_bug likes this.
  6. Exactly what Gorn said above.

I have both of those exact sets on different basses. It all depends on the bass. Try them on both.

got_the_bug likes this.
  7. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Gold Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Thanks for the responses so far!

8. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I put a set of D'Addario EPS220 Prosteels. Nice.
    And seem to have very low tension as well.