Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two bassists in a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by superkicky, Mar 1, 2006.

1. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Anyone done this before? My guitarist is thinking of doing it, and it'd be great if we could get a point of reference if anyone's done it before and how they did it.

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    It can be hard to find one! let us know if you do it and how it sounds.

3. "Touching Bass" was the name of our effort. Basically I was hired by a friend to help replicate his solo CD in a live setting. His CD constisted of layer upon layer of bass tracks, SUPER full sounding, and it was a LOT of fun.

One of us would hold it down, while the other went into melodic la-la land, at least that's the basic gist of it. His pedalboard was very extensive, and I'm more of a "plug and play" type, so our roles were clearly defined, although he did give me the occasional solo or melody line. Great fun, and I highly recommend it!

Just be sure you've both agreed on who's going to do what during each tune as far as register is concerned. If you both are noodling up high, and conversely if you both are dwelling in the low end, isn't not the greatest idea. Even though we each had our own distinct tone, two sets of notes are pretty overwhelming to the ears if they're in the same register.

In summation: Play complimentary lines, don't set out to "out-do" each other, and most of all, have fun. :)

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    There is a band locally that uses two basses/bass players. But they kind of suck and tend to drive people away.

Squarepusher did some cool stuff with two basses (recorded) a while back.

5. "Ned's Atomic Dustbin" used two bassists. There's also Dos (Mike Watt + Kira Roessler). There's certainly quite a difference in their respective sounds, so I think there's quite a large range of possibilities. Post a clip if you get it sorted out.

6. superkicky

superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Ooh, which album? I dig squarepusher. Respect for someone who was a drummer AND a bassist.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This would be a really cool thing if one bassist had a lower strung bass, say... F#, B, E, A, D and the other was higher, like.... A,D,G,C,F or whatever depending on the number of strings.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The "replicate the solo CD live" thing is far different than a band. I don't see why you would want to really, but that' sjust my opinion

9. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Kip Hanrahan. two or three, the three being Jack Bruce (he who walks on earth as bass god) Steve Swallow (he who walks on earth as another bass god), and Andy Gonzalez on DB (another bass god). Verticals Currency or Desire Develops an Edge.

And really agree on your roles before hand. I was asked at one time to bring my piccolo to a gig or practice, only to have the other bassist take major offense.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ehh..call me old and too traditional, but I can't imagine a situation where a two bass band could sound good, unless the players were EXTREMELY talented and tasteful.

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Umm, ok. You are old and too traditional. Then again, I must be too, because I agree with you. :)

12. Think Victor Wooten.

13. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Actually, this is getting to be rather common in the jazz world. Jeff Berlin has done a couple of CDs where he played melody bass on top of the more traditional standup work of another bassist. Todd Johnson also has a CD using this format; his six-string bass doing chord/melody work over a more traditional player's standup walking lines.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    As far as modern music goes,if you do a little research you will find that the use of Two Bass players in the same Band has been going on for well over 50 years.

15. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    There was a band in the 1986-1990 called Hugo Largo, and performed several songs with 2 bass guitars and violin.

Their first record, Drum, I think is the best. It might not be the directin your thinking about, but it was/is some very nice music

16. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    From some cats at the NAmm show that was done very tastefully

"Balancing Act"
    some very good tracks on that disc.
    Comeron and MAtt play opposite bass that complimant eachother well.

Theres a couple of fantastic trax on there too
    #1, #2 and #9 are very veyr good songs!

Id recommend to check it out.
    Good players too.

I think that this is a link but I am stabbing in the dark

www.balancingactmusic.com
    ?

17. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh wow, you too, eh?

http://www.myspace.com/xbhbex

Worst crowd response i've ever seen. In the silence after one of the songs, somebody's gf could be heard to say: "There's no f***ing way I'm applauding that, not even a pity clap".

18. He was my friend, and he asked me. That's why.:meh:

We ended up only performing a few of his original tracks, and then a few of our own. It turned out quite fantastically while it lasted, and it was great fun. It's not like we played his solo tracks note for note, more of an "adaptation for dual bass". :D

19. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yup! Me, too... and even then I would consider it a novelty act...

...now, where did I leave my Geritol??? :D

20. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    What's the name of the band?

Miles had Foley on 'lead' bass. Sounded more like guitar though, at least guitar riffing.