SOLD Two BigE MAS 4x6 cabs

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by ganttbos, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Gold Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Price:
    $500 ea
    These were built by Mike Arnopol in March 2013. They have the 4 woofers and two cross-firing tweets. Those of you who have kept up with the design tweaks over the past year will know that these represent the next-to-latest version of his 4x6, but they are full production models not prototypes. They have four handles - one on each end edge top and bottom and they're 8 ohm cabs. Mike can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 4 ohm impedance of the currently offered 4x6 was dictated by the lot of drivers he most recently got from Eminence, and he plans to offer the choice of 4 or 8 ohms in the future. I've used these on about 70 gigs. They're in excellent condition having been covered and carried in my car, not a trailer or truck. I've been doing this since the 60's - in the early 70's I was a two SVT 810 guy. Trust me, these cabs will handle the loudest gig without breaking a sweat, and without getting boomy. If you're a veteran of the BigE threads you know about the Koolaid so I won't get too carried away. PM me if you want more details. $500 each - you pay shipping. 2 46 front angle.jpg Grill removed.jpg

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm unclear, are these 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Each cab is rated at 8 ohm.
    If you hook up both in parallel (normal connection method) your amp will see an approximate 4 ohm load.

BTW: this is a really sweet deal on some great cabs (wish I could afford them)!
    GLWTS.

4. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    weight?

5. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Approximately 40 lbs.

6. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area

7. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Do you have dimensions?
    How easy are these to move around?

8. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    26" wide x 15" high x 13" deep. Quite easy to move, one handed or two.

9. drobinsn

drobinsn

Feb 15, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How do they sound when placed in a vertical position? Does this affect the cabinet's sound ?

10. I think that destroys the midrange dispersion which the cross firing arrangement provides. They're not meant to be used that way.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  11. I haven't heard of these before. I have been looking for some good sound clips with no success. I am wanting to go to a 410 cab from my 212 eden cab for tighter sound. How does this cab compare to a 410 cab?
    What changes to the latest version?

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Here's a link to the current main thread on the Big E bass guitar cabs:
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/big-e-speakers-part-4-quadraphenia.1071604/

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Some players have used them set up vertically, but it does affect the projection & tonal balance.

14. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I use them flat on the floor stacked. The reason to try the vertically upright position would be to hear them better but there are no issues with hearing these cabs for me. That's one of the strengths of the MAS cabs in general. That said Mike says they sound "different" when vertical but does not hesitate to suggest trying it. Likewise with raising the cabs, like on a milk carton. They seem not to lose a lot of low end when raised.
    I use them stacked horizontally. There are no issues with hearing them well, at least for me, so I've had no need to stand 'em up. Mike says they sound "different" when vertical and considers it a viable option. Likewise raising them off the floor they seem to suffer less loss of low end from the de-coupling than some other cabs.

15. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Whoops - still trying to deal with the new format. Sorry for the double post.

16. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    I bet these would be killer for upright.

17. I hadn't heard of these before. A large chunk of my day was spent reading the mega threads. I find it all to be very interesting.

Now I'm gonna go walk off my GAS pain...

18. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I've used several types of 410 cabs and I like the MAS cabs better. Some people feel that one MAS 4x6 competes with a good 410. IME two MAS 46's stacked sound way better than any 410 I've tried. I've used (backline provided) Ampeg 810 cabs and I prefer the two MAS 46's. I prefer not to comment further on the "cab comparison" issue which is obviously a subjective one. This is a for sale thread. Please PM me.
    My cabs have two cross-firing tweets. The newest 4x6's have three 3" drivers and one tweet. Again I'd refer you to the dedicated BigE threads for more details.

19. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Bump

20. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Smokin deal! GLWTS

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021