1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two blown speakers: Unlucky or Uninformed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanreiter, Apr 5, 2009.

1. I purchased a Mesa Walkabout Scout 3 years ago. Since then, I have blown two speakers. I keep the Gain and the Master Volume set at 12 o' clock and very very rarely go beyond that. It is my first tube amp, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I had never blown a speaker prior to this, going back nearly 15 years. Am I doing something wrong or am I unlucky.

Also, the Scout replacement speaker is 300 watt at 8 ohm. It costs $120. Is there a comparable replacement for less?

Thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Chronically blowing drivers indicates you're just trying to get too much out of the cab. The driver pictured here
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/BassPlayer-Scout/BassPlayer-Scout.htm is an Eminence Deltalite 2512. That driver has been out of production for two years, superseded by the Deltalite II 2512. The best price on those will be found at www.speakerhardware.com. The newer version is considerably better than the older, but the fact remains that you can only get so much from one twelve unless you step up to the premium Kappalite 3012HO.

3. If I step up to the Kappalite 3012HO, should I expect this not to happen anymore? Or should I just buy an extension cab and push two?

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    What ever speaker you replace your original with it will still just be one cone. You can only get so much out of that. Yes get a second cabinet that will ease the burdon on your Scout.

Paul

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    The 3012HO will handle roughly twice the power of an average driver, and has higher sensitivity for greater output. Even so one 3012HO won't provide the output of, say, two 2512s. So the short answer is carry two 2512 loaded cabs if you have the ability to. If you can't then you should consider the 3012HO as a probable cure for your blown driver problems.

6. I just ordered the Kappalite. Hopefully, this works. Thanks for your help.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Walkabout is not a tube amp, but it is 300 very conservitively rated watts. Although the combo package is equipped with a single 12" spkr, the amp unfortunately, will not perform it's best through the single speaker. Best results are always achieved by using multiples of the same size driver, such as a 2x12, etc. It's very easy to blow a speaker in a combo with that much power. You should be using your ears, and back off the volume when the speaker is straining to keep up. Obviously, a 2x12 will be much easier to attain sustained high volume use with this amp. Best of luck to you this time around.

8. Do you think a 2x10 will suffice, along with the 12"? Or would I just be wasting space and money?

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never blown the speaker in my Walkabout Scout although I could have done so very easily if I'd played at stupid volumes with a lot of bass boost. As others have said-it's only one 12" speaker. If you're blowing those speakers then you need to add an extension cabinet.

It's not just the Scout that has that problem. Virtually every high powered combo on the market has the ability to blow their internal speakers. That's why they have extension speaker jacks.

I love the Scout and I think its cabinet design makes the most out of that single speaker, but there is a limit.

10. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    One of the most powerful tools in technical endeavour is, device/part post fault analysis, or faluire analysis. By this we observe all characteristics of the failed part and then disecte the device to actualy work the problem backwards. In this case was there cone damage, or maybe seperation of voice coil former to cone, perhaps voice coil overheating or over extension. Could be manufacture issues with long term operation of the device, which is hard to predicte in production time frames.

In this case just what actualy happened to the speaker or speakers, same failure past and present? Digital camera with macro close ups can help the less technical person send pics to technical types to help explain or find the root cause ( or more importantly causes! ) of the failure. Just a few suggestions rather than just reload and damage again the replacement speaker. Had an amp once take out 4 15inch speakers on a loan rig, operator just did not get the real cause and cost me 4 expensive loud speakers, one after another. He was other than that, a good technical person. We all learn in time.

Regards.

11. Avatar was selling their replacement OEM Deltalite II 2512LFA for $89 last year. I've heard they've gone up, but probably still a good value.

12. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    That falls into the realm of 'sales pitch', though in all fairness one would not expect Mesa or any other manufacturer to recommend using someone else's extension cab.
    OTOH one will usually get the best results using an extension identical to the main cab.

14. To be perfectly honest, I play part time and the only thing that I'm concerned with is not blowing out more speakers and spending more money than necessary. I'm not a tone junky or in to all of the technical aspects of my gear. Most of the drunk 21 year olds that I play for don't care about how nice my amp sounds during any of the cliche crap that we do.

I got an offer on an SWR 2x10 at a reasonable price and I'll probably just take it. I bought the Scout because it was so compact. Buying another 12" speaker cabinet kind of defeats the purpose. Thanks so much to everyone for their help and advice.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    :D i like your attitude (and completely understand where you're coming from)

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    One of the most refreshing posts I've seen in a long, long time. Play on and Peace. :bassist:

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Let us know how it works out when you get the replacement speaker in.

18. Will a Kappalite 3012 HO even work in the scout enclosure?

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Good question! Should have been asked a tear ago!

Paul

20. Bought the kappelite and it was fine. Got my amp serviced....turns out that it wasn't the speakers at all!! The intense vibration from the cabinet loosened and broke the solder joints inside the amp! Crazy and painful considering how much money I dropped on those damn speakers. Oh yeah and the repairman said it will likely happen again over time.