Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two brand new amps, different brands, both faulty.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim1, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thought I would share this, if nothing else it might remind some of you how lucky you are that you live in the same country as the manufacturer. A few months ago I did a trade in/ upgrade, I now own new SWR SM900 and Mesa 900+ heads. The SM900 has developed that great curse - an "intermittent" fault where it occasionally make a a dreadful gushing noise that keeps on increasing in volume until you tap around on the top of the amp, which seems to stop it and all is fine. One of these things that you cannnot return for until it actually does it regularly for the serviceman. The 900+ (which I love for its tone) suddenly cut out at a gig - lights on, fuse fine, but absolutely no sound at all - no hiss, nothing. Sent it away for repair and when it returned it worked but there was a VERY loud "crack"when swiching to standby if the graphic was on (this blew a tweeter!). Naturally it is back again for service. Both amps under warranty and good dealers who will follow through but... whatever happened to factory quality control and .... hey guys, just occasionally remember how lucky you are that you have the manufacturers close by and a replacement head is days away, if necessary, not weeks or months.Sorry - just my New Year gripe, I had wanted to gig with the 900+ on New Year's Eve, instead I had the (very nice with a Sansamp) SWR and spent the whole night worrying that it might play up on me.

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    You're lucky to have a dealer around for your gear. That's from a greek who's considering buying a Thunderfunk and has decided to order a Schroeder cab after the amp.

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thanks, Dragon - it doesn't hurt to be reminded that the grass is not always greener everywhere else. However, Thunderfunk and Schroder are not available here either. Oh for a totally reliable internet music store - although I know of severalpeople who have shipped guitars from Musicians Friend or123 with no problems. However,I am wary of importing an amplifier or speaker if there is no local agent for warranty repairs.