Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two cab setup...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, May 7, 2003.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey!

I've been thinking about buying two new ampeg cabs. A standard 8 ohm 4x10 and a standard 8 ohm 1x15. ( I have a 4x10HLF, but it's four ohms so I don't wanna mix that with an 8 ohm 15). So here's the question or rather inquiry: What are some preferred ways of running the cabs? I have an SVT-4PRO so I have some options. I can run the two cabs parallel and still get the 490 watts out of one of the power amps, or I can run each cab at 8 ohms, each on their own power amp and get 300 watts out. I'm worried that 300 watts might not cut it in my band (volume-wise), but somebody told me that the wattage difference wouldn't be too noticeable.
    Also, I have the option of using the crossover circuit that is built-in on my amp. I know I can try all three set ups, but I am just looking for some opinions on what you folks would reccommend.

Thanks!
    Justin

2. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I forgot to ask what people that use a 4x10 and 1x15 setup think of it. I've been told that it would help the sound of my low B on my five-string quite a bit and since I play on the low B sometimes in my band, it would be good to get the best sound possible out of it. So overall, is this setup worth it?

Thanks again!
    Justin

3. You can also bridge the amp which means using both sides of the amp to make one big mono power amp. This would give you 1200 watts into 4 ohms which is what you have if you ran both your 8 ohms cabs into your svt bridged. This would give you the most headroom.

4. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have thought about running the amp bridged, but I have heard it's not a good idea because it's putting out so much power it can damage the speakers fairly easily. My SVT-410 HLF can handle 500 watts RMS and I don't even run that bridged, I just run that at 490 watts off of one power amp. The 1x15 I'm looking at can only handle 200 watts RMS, so I would be too worried that I would destroy it if I ran the amp bridged. I guess there is such a thing as "too much power." I would get an SVT-810 and run the amp bridged into it, but unfortunately I have no way of moving an 8x10.

--justin

5. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. I run a PLX1202 into 700 watts bridged into 8 ohms into a Hartke 4.5XL rated at 400 watts and have done so for sometime now. I personally like the way it sounds with big head room. I would have no fear of running your present setup bridged. jmho

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you hook up one 8 ohm cab to each side of your amp, you'd get a total of 600 W (2 X 300) into your cabs, not 300.