1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Cabinets from One Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmart72, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mrmart72

mrmart72

Jun 27, 2012
    Hi All, does anyone know of a converter box or something that allows a 15 in 4 ohm speaker and a 4X10 4 ohm cabinet to run out of a 300 watt 4 ohm combo amp. I want to use both my combo's 15 incher and the 4X10 at the same time. I know how to convert the combo to a speaker out/speaker in jack system, allowing me to run either the 15 or the 4X10. But how can I run both the 15 incher and 4X10 at the same time without frying the 4 ohm amp. I think combining the two speaker systems will reduce the impedence total to 2 ohms and fry the amp, true?

2. It would help if we knew the model of combo. Does it say min 4ohms on the back? If so then it won't work. Most amps aren't able to run 2 ohms.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You could conect them in series for a combined 8 oh load, but you might get better results just using the 4x10 by itself.

4. It's not voodoo logic to say that running mismatched (size-wise) speakers is bad, but if you insist, the only way I see possible is with a device I made from another TBer's design in a box.

I had some 8Ω PA speakers that I wanted to use on a PA combo that required 16Ω minimum.

100_0514.

This could be used for any situation though where you have identical but incorrect values on gear. I call this a 'Doubler' for my purposes and I made the box a little larger than most would, since I lose small things that don't sparkle.

I can see using two 4Ω cabs and running them at 8Ω.