two cabs with different ohms... will it damage the less powerful cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am getting a Wizzy-112 which is 4ohms at 250watts. I am also thinking of getting a GK mbx micro cab which is 8 ohms at 100watts. The amp will be an AI Clarus which can push 300 watts at 2ohms.

I would like to use the mbx for practices because it is super portable. At some point i may want to use both cabs to get the most i can out of the clarus. I know that if i use both these cabs at once with the clarus I know i will be getting 2.67ohms.

My question is:

Will i somehow damage the 100watt mbx by doing this?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not at all. with that setup you'll have 2.7 ohms. if the clarus puts out all 300 watts at this impedance the 8 ohm cab will get 1/3 of the power = 100 watts.

the thing to consider is will the 8 ohm cab be heard at all?

if the efficiency (in dB) of both cabs is the same the 8 ohm cab will be 3 dB quieter than the 4 ohm one. if the 8 ohm cab is less efficent than the 4 ohm one (and i suspect it is) it may end up being so much quieter than the 4 ohm one that you won't notice a difference using it or not.

ps, just to clarify. your cabs arent x ohms AT x watts. they are x ohm cabinets which can HANDLE x watts.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes, you are right. The wizzy cab is 103db speaker sensitivity while i am sure the mbx is much less. GK has not answered my emails as to the question of how much db thier mbx cab is.

Not really much point in bring it along then i suppose. :meh: