1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two-channel, Clean/Dirty switchable heads. Small or Micro.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pat C., Feb 7, 2016.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    I'd like to create a current list of amp heads that have clean/dirty channels that are switchable on the fly. That means independent control over not only input gain for both clean and dirty channels, but master gain controls as well so that channel levels can be controlled independently.

I've been poking around the marketplace and reading a ton of info on TB to see what's out there, and there doesn't seem to be a huge selection. There are a bunch of amps that have a "drive" control, or similar function, but not all have a way to switch that function in and out on the fly. Nor do most have a way to normalize clean and dirty levels, which would be critical for use in a live situation.

I'm mostly interested in small-form-factor amps. The don't have to be micro, per se, but I hauled around a 80lb pre/power rack for almost 20 years and I'm not going back to that. :) Something less than 20lbs, 500 to 1000 watts, good DI, etc. For the sake of inclusion I'd be open to any heads of a "reasonable" weight (significantly less than 80lbs). I'd like to keep the list to amps currently in production.

The list thus far:

Gallien Kruger MB500
    Gallien Kruger MB800
    Gallien Kruger MB Fusion 500
    Gallien Kruger MB Fusion 800
    Orange OB1-500
    Darkglass Microtubes 700
    Genzler Magellan 800
    Fender Rumble 500
    Fender Bassman 500

I feel like I must be missing some models (or a bunch). Please feel free to post up your experience with any of the above models, or a suggestion for another model that has the clean/dirty switchable function.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I use the 2 channel function on my GK MB800 for a volume boost (and a bit of dirt) in a few songs, I would really miss it, and the light weight and small size, if I had to go back to my pre+power rack.

3. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Genzler MG800

Pat C. and Hotblack like this.
  4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Hmmm. I can't believe that this list caps out at seven models, most of which are GK. Anyone else got any ideas?

5. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    List update: added Fenders.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016