two combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris3142, Aug 11, 2001.

1. I bought a GK 400rb/210 recently, its pretty cool and sounds great. I've been using it along with my ampeg BA-115 with a morley ABY pedal its pretty cool, but it kind of sucks due to the fact that i've got to use both amps to EQ. The GK has a speaker out on the back of it, so i'm wondering if i can go from the speaker out to the instrument in on the Ampeg? would this work? what kind of cable, speaker or instrument? would i lose power or gain power? will it still sound good? sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any help.
  2. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    If you connect a speaker out (high power) to an instrument in (low power) you will FRY your second amp with the overload.

There are external speaker load simulators that would probably allow it or you could build your own, but it's probably not cost effective.

You are probably better off using a common pre-amp in front of the 2 combo's with the EQ set flat on the amps. Maybe a Sansamp Bass DI ?
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I tried just that once with two combos, and although I didn't blow the second amp (phew!), it didn't sound too good. It might have been the amps that I used, but they sounded out of phase with each other, and it did seem that the second one was struggling. I defintely wouldn't recommend doing it.
  4. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    hey chris

the gk 400rb has a line out - just use that into the instrument input. or the effects loop in. just use a normal instrument cable.

if the ampeg effects loop has a blend control, that'd be cool. you might even consider putting effects in the signal chain between the combos - gk clean, ampeg distorted, or something like that.