1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two completed demos - songwriting, bass and vocals by me! (v scared, be nice...)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexclaber, Apr 6, 2006.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Doesn't time fly when you're having fun...

Since my last update on this we've lost a singer/songwriter (musical differences and all that) and gained a saxophonist and keyboardist. Of course, by the time you read this that could have all changed again - never a dull day when you're trying to get a band happening!

So, the songs written by the other writer are now gone and I'm doing all the vocals. Which is interesting... The whole band is sounding way better than on the recordings you've heard and my live vocals are certainly coming along.

However, rather than go back to square one with getting this demo done, we've decided to just stick the vocals on those rough demos and try and get some gigs. Ok, we can play tighter and better than that, and we've got keys and sax as well now - which ends to the jazz, soul, funk and ska undercurrents in a big way, but hopefully this should still make people want to book us (though do tell me if you think I'm wrong!)

And so I'm uploading the 2.5 songs we have done. The first, Lend Us A Fiver, is still missing a guitar solo, which should be on its way to me shortly via the magic of the internet; otherwise it's done. I'll update that when I've integrated it. The second two songs, which travel as a pair, Airline Girl and Terrestrial Blues, are all done. Please be gentle, I'm a bass player, not a singer Jim! And I've had to do all the vocals and backing vocals are a whole new thang for me, baby! (Not that I'm an old hand at singing lead either...)

Real critique is very much appreciated - just bear in mind that these are gig-getting demos, not finished products ready for public consumption.

Lend Us A Fiver

Airline Girl / Terrestrial Blues

Alex

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I downloaded "Lend us a Fiver." Pretty good, produced better, it will be pretty awesome. The vocals are very... B-52s... sorta, I dig 'em. Nice playing too.

3. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  4. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    I like it.

5. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Cool, thanks!

Any thoughts on Airline Girl / Terrestrial Blues?

FWIW, this was all played on my '87 Warwick with reverse-P/J EMGs on 18V, through SWR GP, all set flat. Mostly front pickup soloed, apart from intro/verse/solo on Airline Girl which is back pickup. Overdrive was added in the mix to LUAF, as was some cunning parametric EQ and reverb to the verses of Terrestrial Blues (to bring out the double stops over bassline effect). And some very subtle compression, 2:1 ratio with high threshold.

Alex