1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Contrastings Solo Works

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by PRUNEFACE, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Okay, say if I am going to be playing Bottesini's Reverie as one of my pieces, what would YOU look at playing as the faster/different period piece? I'm talking to my teacher about what would be best for me, but I want some ideas -especially if they're transcriptions or "rare" for bass players to perform. Would love to hear y'alls thoughts!

2. if you wanted to stay with Bottesini, how about his Tarantella? I'm playing it now and it's a good one.

3. i actually like Tarantella, but I need to try and find a piece other than Bottesini just in case as a "back up" preferably from a different period and composer and tempo

4. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    I really like the Bach Gamba Sonatas. They don't get as much attention as the Cello Suites but I think they have just as much merit. Plus you get to play with harpsichord!!!! A classical concerto exposition is always a good call. Maybe Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Dragonetti or Hoffmeisters #'s 1,2 or 3. For a modern piece I like Persechetti's Parable, Motivy by Tabakov or the Hindemith Sonata. So many pieces so little time!

5. Well, for modern works, I'd like to mention Ballade for Contrabass by Behzad Ranjbaran. It was the ISB contest solo from 1999. Three pages-bass only (no piano)- fastest rhythms are 16ths in 3/4 time- very chromatic and expressive- up and down the G string- 7th and thumb positions- about 5 minutes long- really nice work. Ranjbaran teaches composition at Juilliard and would love to hear from you if you program his work.

6. You can't go wrong with a cello suite at pitch.

7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Obviously, I am not a classical soloist, but I have a huge library or solo lps and scores and I have to agree with the above. There is also a really nice Henze solo "S. Biagio 9 agosto ore 12.07", Berio's "Psy" is a nice quick piece and not so hard to play but sounds flashy. If you want a nice sounding contemporary solo Vask's "Bass Trip" is beautiful and the score is not tough to find.

8. I'm currently looking at Sonata 1963 (Frank Proto) as I have purchased the piece and have been fooling around with it. Also thinking of Vanhal, and anyone have any reccomendations for a faster/technical piece by Rabbath? I have all three of his method books.

9. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Where are you auditioning? That will make a difference...

I see Nestor in your profile... are you still working with him?

BG

10. koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Yeah Man! Both Berio and Henze rock! I haven't checked out the Vask but I'm on it. TY for the info. P.S. When did you move to Houston?

11. I would be looking at Domaine Forget, BUTI, Interlochen, Idyllwild, and, as a reach-ier thing, National Orchestral Institute, and finally, as the biggest reach, the Aspen Music Festival Academy

EDIT: And yes, I am! He's a beast, that's for sure. He just completed his doctorate, and should be graduating with his DMA in December!

12. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Tell him Brian from UGA says hi! Haven't seen him in about ten years. He hadn't finished his undergrad then when I finished my masters...

There is a lot of literature to choose from that will highlight your ability. Don't play the most technically difficult piece you can muster, just do something that shows your merit. I would trust your teacher's judgment.

I would also suggest doing a baroque piece of some kind, Bach, Vivaldi, etc... against the romantic era. It will show more of your musical range. Even the Eccles sonata will work. (Second movement)

Hope that helps,
    BG

13. Nestor was surprised to hear from you (from me.) He asked how everything is going, and if you want his cell to text or call him just pm me.
    and yes, there is so much literature i need help sorting though it :eek:

14. Currently debating, as deadlines approach: for fast: Dragonetti mvt 1 or Eccles mvt 2 for slow/lyrical: Eccles mvt 1 or Reverie or Vivaldi Sonata 4 mvts. 1 or 3.

Any thoughts?

15. koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    Dragonetti 1 and Eccles 1

16. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I moved in August. It great down here!