Two days; two VERY different gigs

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Friday night: my band (which i joined roughly a month ago) had its first gig. we played in front of 50 or so people who applauded after every song (of seven).

most were impressed by us, even if the vocals are a bit...underwhelming.

it was good fun, except the room sucks acoustically. and the pa mix was awful.

we'll be playing there again soon.

fwiw, this is the same spot brendan's band has a personal ban on.

Saturday afternoon: i played with some friends from my school's jazz band and a complete stranger!

i've practiced half a dozen "songs" with an alto sax player (the best musician i've ever met) and a drummer for the past week.

our repoirtoire:

"haitian fight song"
    "watermelon man"
    "straight no chaser"
    "impressions" (this one gives my left hand cramps, btw)
    "a night in tunisia"

we literally gave the chord charts to the pianist an hour before we played. luckily, he is great and played em no problem. and he did many solos. in fact, he took over the parts where i was planning to do solos! oh well, i can't say i was disappointed...

we played at the cafetorium of a local elementary school. they were having a school carnival. about a dozen or so stayed through the entire set (about 45 minutes long).

after the gig, we got approached by a couple people and were offered several more gigs. we'll probably play five more shows! and i thought this was a one-shot deal.

looks like i'll be kinda busy...
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good to see you had a nice gig there. Just NEVER expect to get paid. We have a ban because they promised us pay, and never delivered. They ow us around 160 bucks, and more, actually. 160 is a loose estimate. More around 225ish.

Beware the Mullet Burden. She is not to be trusted.
  3. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i now know what you're talking about!

i'll tell the guys to try to start looking for (paying) gigs elsewhere.

right now, we're just trying to spread word of all things XeroHour, even if it means free gigs (an essential part of paying dues?).
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    True. Our beef however is not that we played for free, dues, spreading the word, ect. However, we were told, and promised pay, only to not be payed. Dues are one thing. Not getting paid is something else. It's like going to work and not getting anything for it. Rock n' Roll is not a job, but it IS a buisness.

We were also told we would not have to open up after our second show. 3 shows later, because we are there to see opening bands (see, ready) we were screwed into opening, which actually was bas, some 20 people came to see us (in addition to the normal 50-80 crowd) in particular, and when we were forced to open, they missed us. Something that did not sit will with us. We do not like to let down fans.

You deal with Club Unknown, you get screwed. Period. Which is why we are not playing there unless we are paid in advance. Given the way the Mullet Burden runs things, will be close to never.
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    To me,starting out as a band,i wouldnt mind not getting seems fun to play a gig(i want to be in a band!)once i started playing alot i would want some money.
  6. Good Luck to you bassbrobrad! You're on your way!

I agree- it is more important to get some gigging experience under your belt, but that seems pretty rough Brendan if you were expecting to get paid and didn't.

I always feel great that I'm being paid for something I love doing, even if it's not much compared to the hours of practice and the cost of equipment.

I once did two very different gigs in one week - a black tie 'do' at a yacht club in front of about 100 people, and two days later a bikers rally in a marquee with 1,000 bikers - what a contrast! Both great gigs though. :)
  7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    thanks, bassbarbie.

and the oddness probably won't stop there, either!

i plan on starting a rock (grunge?) band with a friend over summer (unfortunately, he's on the other side of florida right now). and i expect to play some piano-pop/rock tune(s) with a piano player. i really hope so, anyway. last year i did that and it was very fun.

as of now, i've not much planned...but i wouldn't be surprised if, all of a sudden, i get word that i have many more gigs to do (with just the two groups).

allz i need to do now is join an afro-cuban band and/or reggae group (down with whitey!:eek: :D ), and i'll have most of the styles covered (save non-crossover ethnic stuff, which is cool but hard to find musicians for).

and i'm kinda disappointed that no one's commented on the numbers i played with the jazz band. i want to know how well known they are...besides "haitian fight song." mingus rules.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think it brears repeating:

I (and we) are by NO means above a free gig. Or gigs. It's when we are PROMISED pay, and then not paid, even though at $7 bucks a head, and only 4 bands. It's their ethics and practices that made us ban them. Hell people have come from Gainsville (about 5 hours away), and Tampa (3-4) and NOT been payed at all. I think that's just stupid. Hence the ban.
  9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i totally agree with you, brendan.

i personally dislike the place, anyway.

i'd like to try to be aware of other venues that are run much better.

and it doesn't help that that place's acoustics are awful for live music (which is the main attraction in the first place).
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Not getting paid really sucks, espcially if you are promised to get paid.

I remember once I drove an hour and a half to a gig. Then when I got there, they had double booked us with a DJ. Needless to say, the DJ got to keep the gig that night.