Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two decent bassists on TV tonight!

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Don't know if this will be shown nationally tonight, but here in the Denver area on a National Public TV station at 8:pM is a program called Soundstage. Two of the bands: Dave Brubeck with Michael Moore (i'm assuming) and an all star band with Herbie, Wayne and Dave Holland....I didn't hear who the drummer was.
    If you don't get it in your area, sorry. If you do, we can all give a critique tomorrow.
    There are others playing in this program, but Dave and Michael are worth the shot.

2. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Paul,

I live in Chicago (where, I think, Soundstage is taped) and see no mention of this show anywhere in the past, present or future. Just for kicks, I checked the Denver area listings and don't see it there on any PBS stations either. Not saying you're wrong....and for your sake I hope it airs cause it sounds like it would be definitely worth catching. Enjoy!

We're getting Ron Isley and Burt Bacharach.

Say hello to the Rockies for me.

peace

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    WARMBATON - Prolly Gene Jackson, he was doing the tour with that group.

4. They even showed a teaser on this last nigt.....Dave Holland, Herbie, Wayne and the drummer taking a bow on stage!! ( Gene Jackson?)
    Do you guys think i'm doing too much acid?? :hyper:

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Paul, are you sure it's Soundstage? I lookd it up and they have no showings (nor any history as far as I can tell) for showing Jazz artists. I wish! Honestly, I get tired of the stuff they put on Austin City Limits. It's too bad that as the so-called Live-Music Capital of the world, they do so little jazz and improvised music. I went to Austin a couple weeks ago and was disappointed they had relatively little or no Jazz. I can only handle so much pop/folk/indie rock. At least they had McCoy Tyner coming into town while I was there. Anyhoo, I digress...

Looking at your local Denver PBS listings, looks like you got the a Newport Jazz Festival 50th Anniversary show coming on at 8pm on channel 12. Is that what you're referring to maybe?

6. DUH!!! Thanks Diddy....you shook my memory...what's left of it. You're right it is Newport. It is listed in my newspaper TV Guide as Soundstage.
    I was in and out of the room when the ads came on last night.
    Anyway....Hey you guys, The Newport Jazz Festival is on in Denver tonight at 8:00 PM, channel 12. .......oh well, i'll let you know how it is.
    If this ends up being Sounstage, i'll let you know how bad it is.

7. We get our PBS outta Detroit. No Newport Jazz, but lots of Danny O'Donnel. :bawl: They do/did have the Sphinx competition finals on though. There was a great young bass player from Philly that performed a Bottesini Concerto the last time I watched it. I don't know if he'll be on it tonight though.

8. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Got any more....then it won't matter who's on!!!!! :D

9. Well, it was on...pretty ugly for my $.
    I'm not into singers, so natually they gave Diane Reeves a whole lotta time singing her shooby-doobie scat Bull-****about how thrilled she is to be singing at Newport...ARGHH!!!!
    Then that jive singer from New Orleans who has the big band? I can't even remember his name....played some piano. I've never heard anything like that....BAD!!!
    At least I got to see Michael Moore playing that Czech-Ease Gage bass. No solo's though.
    The drummer on the Holland-Herbie-Wayne band was Brian Blade. They played pretty out. I always enjoy hearing Dave under almost any circumstance.
    NO STARS!

10. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I got Frontline's current PTSD reading instead. Put the tube on CC and did scale-work, so it wasn't a total loss by any stretch.

:bassist:

11. I'm bummed that I missed that. How did the Czech-Ease sound even though he didn't solo? What kind of stuff was Wayne and Dave little band playing? Was it mostly Wayne's stuff or what?

12. The Czech sounded big. They were running it through the house so it wasn't great.
    Dave Holland consistantly gets a great sound at every venue i've heard him in, but this wasn't as cool as usual.
    They came in in the middle of a piece on Wayne and Daves little band, and they were playing so out I couldn't tell what it was.....no changes that even my brilliant ears could comprehend. Just out! Then the TV crew pulled out before they played the head.
    What's that New Orleans singers name??? He played a piano trio set with these two handed clusters that didn't make ANY sense! :crying:
    As usual, they gave more time to singers and the Lincoln Center band than to any real interesting stuff like Wayne, Dave. Herbie and Brian.
    It's amazing that Brubeck is still playing in his 80's. That alto player sounded good. Don't know his name.

13. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    That show was on in Chicago a few weeks ago (I had no prior knowledge of it, just lucky channel surfing...).
    I think they had someone like Harry Connick Jr. on - I forget, does he also play piano? I know they also had Jamie Cullum singing some dreadful dirge which I think was about being a lazy student, although in fairness I only withstood about 20 seconds before hitting mute :)

Tom

14. Yea I would bet that it was Harry Connick Jr. which I don't mind but I'll say up front I think Jamie Cullum is an ass. Anyways I would bet that is had to be crapy sound guys or the house was bad cus Dave's sound is ALWAYS great.

15. Yeah, it was Harry playing piano....awful. One of the ugliest players I ever heard....YUK!

Marcus, that Herbie interview is great! I hope our younger players read that and act on it!

16. (From the Herb interview)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all you need to know! :D

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Really? I thought he wasn't all that bad. I think he's was first noticed as a piano player before being a singer. He learned from on the laps of two of New Orleans most famous piano players as a kid: Professor Longhair and James Booker. Those guys are something else, but their style of music is definitely New Orleans funk/watchamacallit, not exactly jazz. It probably resembles only stride piano the most. I probably wouldn't call it jazz. I don't listen to Harry Connick but I'm a fan of his predecessors.

18. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    What is up with the sound on PBS? Maybe it ain't PBS' fault, but the kid playing Bottesini the other day was the first bass player I've ever heard on that channel, though I've seen plenty. When they show an orchestra concert--no bass. No low end from the Berlin Philharmonic basses! That takes some doing! Austin Shi**y Limits--same. Michael Moore with Dave Brubeck--nothing. Dave Holland proved that it ain't my television; you could hear him just fine.

19. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Good Herbie interview. I like:
    In other words, its more about the journey than the polished end result.