Two different prices for MIM jazzes,I dont get it?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 26, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    On they have two different MIM jazz 4 strings,one was $319.99 and one was $384.99.I'm thinking that the $384 one is just a newer version and has minor differences such as more durable parts(screws,bridge,tuners,etc..)Am I right?If not,what are the differences between these models?
  2. yes you are right it's the 2000 model and the 2001 model. The main difference is the pickups on the 2001 are standard jazz bass size so they are easy to uprgrade later on.
  3. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    are they not standard on the 2000?
  4. Prior to 2001, the MIM's had pickups that were both the same length. The new ones are like the original and USA series ones where the bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck one.
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    So if i bought the $319 one,would i be able to fit seymour duncan basslines in them?Would i be able to put,say a badass 2 bridge?
  6. the badass bridge would work, but to fit the pickups you would have to sand off some of the wood, your better off getting the 2001 :), trust me.
  7. I got a MIM Jazz ('99) for sale for aound $250 obo w/ pearl pickgaurd, and Precision knobs. ;)

Also in the newer one's, when both pu's are max'd, their reverse wound, so its hum-canciling for 60-cycle hum... I think.
  8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    What's this mean?
  9. Stock J-Bass pickups are single coils, which means that they hum. But on the original Jazzes, and on the new MIM's, the pickups are reverse polarity, so that when both are completely on, they act as a humbucker would, so that there's no hum.
  10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Might I suggest a Hipshot Style A bridge instead of the Badass 2?

It's more versatile, and I've heard mixed things about the badass 2's hype.
  11. How is it more "Versatile" ?

And to frankencow150. The neck pickup on my 95 MIM is the old style set up and the only string that sits between the polls is the G. E Is the worst, it sits over the inner pole on the neck pickup, A and D are not quite as bad but still are not centered. I'm sure this effects the sound, although my bad playing probably effects it more :D
  12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Did you click on the link?
    You can adjust the string spacing on it. :)
  13. yes I did click on it , but i couldn't really see how it would adjust. I guess after looking again that the saddles flip up for adjustment in spacing. Seems kind of expensive but i guess you have to "Pay to Play" , I made a pun :D